Server 2003 with SP1 and all updates.
    DC (doesn't have fsmo roles)
    mail file and print server.
    DHCP (backup)
    DNS (backup
    Etrust antivirus distribution server.
    number of users using the server: 300+

network info:

Server room (5 servers) are attached to dedicated server gigabit switch. Switch is attached to Core using etherchannel (two gigabit fiber links.
    network has around 600 nodes. around 50 users are on their own vlan (servers and the workstations) and the have no issues.

Problem:
    Every couple of weeks server just slows down to the point that you can not login locally nor remotelly. Nothing in the logs at all. Only way to get the server up and running is to beboot it.

switches nor server aren't overloaded. It looks like sombody internally is playing dirty, but as there is nothing in the logs I can not do much.

Any kind of logging I could do or any other suggestions?

thank you in advance.

Trbonja

Re: Server slowdown

Check what processes are running / memory usage
    a) after restart
    b) regularly during 2 weeks
    c) when performance is seriously degraded

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian
      Check what processes are running / memory usage
      a) after restart
      b) regularly during 2 weeks
      c) when performance is seriously degraded

Tom
      Thanks for reply Ossian.

a) all of the processes are running and are suppose to be on the server.
      b) Same as A. there is no change as same processes are running without any major hit on the ram, swap or CPU.
      c) This is my main problem - the change is to quick and by the time I notice it I cannot get to anything on the server, including logs and system state. A month ago the server went down in the matter of couple of seconds.

Regards,
      Trbonja

Comment

also no change in cpu/memory/disk usage?
        Start running perfmons and on those items above. Enable security logging as well.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber
          also no change in cpu/memory/disk usage?
          Start running perfmons and on those items above. Enable security logging as well.
          - No change what so ever.
          - hehehe I guess it's true that IT guys think the same way as I've just settup up perrmon and I'm looking for some free (or cheap) tools that will email me if there is drastic change. Any recommendations?

Comment

You can use Servers Alive from woodstone, it is a server monitoring software

- set it up on as fast PC/laptop/server you have, it does take a lot of resources
            - setup alerts to monitor that 1 server, you can monitor performance, memory, disc, ping, services etc... whatever you want
            - set it up to email you the logs

it's free for monitoring up to 10 devices, which should be fine for you

I believe default cycle is 2 minutes, but you can change that to monitor your checks more frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by ZrOuT
              You can use Servers Alive from woodstone, it is a server monitoring software

- set it up on as fast PC/laptop/server you have, it does take a lot of resources
              - setup alerts to monitor that 1 server, you can monitor performance, memory, disc, ping, services etc... whatever you want
              - set it up to email you the logs

it's free for monitoring up to 10 devices, which should be fine for you

I believe default cycle is 2 minutes, but you can change that to monitor your checks more frequently.
              Server stopped again while I was looking at perfmon. There was no warrning or any indication there is a problem. In matter of 20 sec it was completely useless.

downloaded Servers Alive and I have to say that it a good app.
              I have started monitoring following:
              ping, winlogon, processor time, avg Disk Que lenght, packets/sec, bytes total/sec and page sec

Is there anything else I should monitor?

Thanks in advance,

Trbonja

Comment

Download from GFI web page (GFI Network Server Monitor). I had something similar, as you decribed on your post and after i used it and perform a monitor of the network and server for software and hardware failures i have found exactly what was causing this problem which has a mulfunction of the ethernet card. I could not find also anything within the logs.

You can download it from this link: http://www.gfi.com/nsm/
                You can use it for 30 days for evaluation which i believe it is enough time to detect you problem.

Regards,
                Iraklis
                --------
                Iraklis

Comment

Working...
                X