Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Controller Users Can Share Files

Hi guys!

I have Windows2003 server Domain Controller and 15 Users.All users are running in WINXP Pro O/S.But I am facking a little bit problem Users can not share files.Is there any policy that we need to enable any solution will be appriciated.

Thanks for replay.

Re: Domain Controller Users Can Share Files

So I am assuming you have created a share? And your users cannot add files to it?

Correct me if im wrong but your post isn't very clear?
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

having Windows 2003 Server Domain Controller does not mean that users can share files by default. you need to define certain things before that.

can you give some more details on what have you done so far?

danac
      BL

Comment

Re: Domain Controller Users Can't Share Files

Thanks for quick replay

We have 16 Systems.I created DC eg:123.com in Server Window2003.In DC i created user like U1,U2,U3,U4,U5..... Rest of them systems we are using Winxp Professional as a DC users.Everything is going fine.But we are facing a little bit problem Users can not share folders.Is there any policy that we need to enable any solution will be appriciated.

Thanks for replay.

Comment

Are users trying to share folders on their PCs or access shared files on the DC?

Remember default share permissions are "Everyone Read" so unless you change that, noone will be able to write to a share

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Domain Controller Users Can n't Share Files

Means it is not possible to Users Cann't get Sharing and Security tab on file/folder properties.

Comment

Disable Simple File Sharing
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian
                Disable Simple File Sharing
                When you join a domain it's automatically disabled.
                http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874/
                By default, simple file sharing is enabled on a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer if the computer is not a member of a domain.
                Last edited by JeremyW; 22nd August 2006, 19:15.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Oops!
                  Thats what you get for not looking closely
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Techgfx
                    Means it is not possible to Users Cann't get Sharing and Security tab on file/folder properties.
                    Could you post a screen shot?

Originally posted by Ossian
                    Thats what you get for not looking closely
                    I do that all the time.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by Techgfx
                      Not sure about the sahring tab but as for the security tab are the drives NTFS or FAT32?
                      Server 2000 MCP
                      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi techdfx,

i try to understand what is your problem and im not sure i got it right
                        when you say users cant share files do you mean from the local workstation?
                        so that way users share a personal folder to be seen by others on the DC?

if thats the issue , i would say carefuly that its better to copy those files to a
                        shared folder on the dc itself. like a common folder that all can save data on it.

another option is to change the group policy and to allow shared folders.
                        goto the "users configuration-->administrative templates-->shared folders"
                        there change the option of sharing.

it will open the option of "shares" when users will right click on a folder and chose properties. they will be able to see the share tag

Comment

Working...
                        X