Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Problem :(

Hello,

After running scheduled windows updates today I set the servers Exchange Box and two DC's) to restart and now the DC's are logging the following:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NETLOGON
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5774
    Date: 21/08/2006
    Time: 21:19:20
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    Registration of the DNS record 'domain-name. 600 IN A IP ADDRESS' failed with the following error:
    DNS operation refused.
    Data:
    0000: 2d 23 00 00 -#..

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: NETLOGON
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5781
    Time: 21:19:20
    Computer:
    Description:
    Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records failed because no DNS servers are available.
    Data:
    0000: 2a 23 00 00 *#..

Obviously because of this the exchange box is logging lots of errors mainly:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MSExchangeDSAccess
    Event Category: Topology
    Event ID: 2103
    Time: 21:46:28
    Computer:
    Description:
    Process MAD.EXE (PID=2160). All Global Catalog Servers in use are not responding:

server1.domain.com
    server2.domain.com

So far I have tried restarting either DC which has not helped, also I followed the MS KB article here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/284963/en-us but that did not help either.

I have tried restarting DNS, but I am not totally confident with what I am doing so not too sure where to start Can anyone suggest anything to try, I need to get this sorted pretty quick.

Thanks in advance

Re: DNS Problem

Run dcdiag and netdiag and see what errors they come up with. You could also uninstall the patches and see if that resolves the problems.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I've run out of idea's now, and after restarting the Exchange server (as I found out it had not restarted as scheduled) a couple of the exchange services are not running and will not start giving error: Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Performing a netdiag /test:dns reveals dns test fails giving the following result: The dns entry's for this DC and not registered correctly on dns server ip address please wait 30 minutes for dns replication.

I have given up for tonight, i'll try again in the morning, oh joy, lol

Cheers

Comment

Turn's out it was a dns screw up, which in turn affected both dc's because of replication. DNS had to be stripped down and a new zone created before the exchange box would respond and it's exchange services start properly. Luckily it appears that was the only problem and just over half a day was lost on this. It's believed that one of the recent MS patches caused this problem on our system it was a DNS update (KB920683 - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS06-041.mspx ) The patches were removed from all box's too.

Cheers

Comment

So you are back up and running now? Was it the patch you think?
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

It would seem so....too many coincidences, ms updates applied that evening, it was a dns patch, dns screwed up...strange thing is that the update was applied two weeks previous on another couple of 2K dc's on another domain, no problems...and i've not heard of any other problems with the patch...*shrug*...

Comment

Working...
            X