Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple PXE servers?

Hi Folk

I'm scratching my head over this one but I'm wondering if I can have 2 PXE servers in an environment but somehow choose which one of them responds to a client when it boots and I hit F12....maybe get presented with some kind of menu perhaps?

I'd prefer to avoid purchasing 3rd party software if poss. (Mr Googles fav. suggestion).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Phil

Re: Multiple PXE servers?

Are you doing this to implement RIS??

Comment

Yes I am at the moment our PXE server directs clients to a Linux Kickstart server, I want a RIS server for Windows builds as well

Cheers
      Phil

Comment

You cannot have two PXE servers in the same subnet. You would need to subnet out your network and put one in each (afaik).
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

What enviornment nare you running??

It is possible to do and AFAIK you just install RIS on two servers. Whichever server answers first is the one that RIS uses.

I'll try and dig up some more info for you.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
            What enviornment nare you running??

It is possible to do and AFAIK you just install RIS on two servers. Whichever server answers first is the one that RIS uses.

I'll try and dig up some more info for you.
            But from his second post he says he already has a PXE server and now he wants a RIS server as well. He maybe doing network boots for another OS maybe even disk less boots. Now he wants a RIS server aswell to build Windows workstations. It isn't going to work be doing a 'round-robin' approach.
            Server 2000 MCP
            Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Yes that's right, I'm hoping to implement a RIS server for Windows builds in addition to the Linux Kickstart server already deployed.

I've had a bit of a look around but only found 3rd party offerings for £'s but it occurred to me that this can not be a unique scenario and other Folk must have had and overcame the problem too…. which is how to direct a client to my RIS server when I hit F12?

Regards
              Phil

Comment

When a PXE server responds, it sends a boot file which runs on the client. You hit F12 and it runs. You could maybe do something so that your Kixstart server is the one that responds and then gives the choice to boot with that (maybe with a 5 second timeout) or to boot from the RIS server.

I'm sorry to say i have no idea how you would go about that! Sorry!
                Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb
                  But from his second post he says he already has a PXE server and now he wants a RIS server as well. He maybe doing network boots for another OS maybe even disk less boots. Now he wants a RIS server aswell to build Windows workstations. It isn't going to work be doing a 'round-robin' approach.
                  Thats what happens when you don't read the posts correctly eh!!!

Sorry i have no idea how you would go about it.

I'll have a dig around though.

Comment

Thanks v/much all the same. I'll also continue digging around and let you know what solution I ultimately come up with

Cheers
                    Phil

Comment

Originally posted by philhilluk
                      Thanks v/much all the same. I'll also continue digging around and let you know what solution I ultimately come up with

Cheers
                      Phil
                      I hope you do find a solution and I would be greatful if you could post back with your findings. We like that here!
                      Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
                      X