Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 2000 Original AD Controller Dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Windows 2000 Original AD Controller Dead

    On Monday night, during backups (of course) one of the two W2k domain controllers in a client of mine's office lost 2 hard drives in its RAID 5 array. This basically killed the machine. The good news (if there is any such thing in this situation) is that I still have one domain controller running. But it was not the machine that actually built AD and because of this isn't the Schema, RID, etc Master of the domain.

    I'm wondering if there is a way to promote the still running machine to take over these roles and re-insert the rebuilt machine into the domain without having to use something like ADMT to move things around.

    I've never had a failure like this, so I'm not exactly sure what the first step should be. Any help at this point would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,
    ScatterBrain
    --

    ScatterBrain

    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
    -- The Mythbusters

  • #2
    Re: Windows 2000 Original AD Controller Dead

    Maybe I've found my answer - looking elsewhere in these forums I cam across this link:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504/en-us

    And it *looks* like I can sieze the FSMO roles on the still running domain controller. Once I do that, then I *think* I can remove the old server from AD/domain and then replace it.

    Does that sound right anyone?

    ScatterBrain
    --

    ScatterBrain

    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
    -- The Mythbusters

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Windows 2000 Original AD Controller Dead

      Damn 2 drives in the one night.

      Right as for your problem.

      As you have 2 DC's you can Seize the roles held by the old server and transer them to the other DC.

      Have a read at this

      http://www.petri.com/seizing_fsmo_roles.htm

      Once you have seized the roles you will need to cleanup the metadata of the old server.

      Here

      http://www.petri.com/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm

      This will completely remove the server from your AD infrastructure.

      Once you have the server disk reparied you will then be able to add the server back to the domain as a DC.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Windows 2000 Original AD Controller Dead

        Thanks you sharing.
        MCSA, MCDST, MCP


        Ordinary Human in an Extra Ordinary World....

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Windows 2000 Original AD Controller Dead

          Originally posted by wullieb1
          Damn 2 drives in the one night.
          That's exactly what I said! I've NEVER had that happen.


          Originally posted by wullieb1
          Right as for your problem.

          As you have 2 DC's you can Seize the roles held by the old server and transer them to the other DC.

          Have a read at this

          http://www.petri.com/seizing_fsmo_roles.htm
          Yes I have read this - even have it printed out at home


          Originally posted by wullieb1
          Once you have seized the roles you will need to cleanup the metadata of the old server.

          Here

          http://www.petri.com/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm

          This will completely remove the server from your AD infrastructure.

          Once you have the server disk reparied you will then be able to add the server back to the domain as a DC.

          So my next question is this: What's the best protection for the running DC? I was thinking of killing the office (shutting down everything except for the DC) and ghosting it. If the worst happens, I'd restore the ghost image.

          Would everyone agree that would be safe?
          --

          ScatterBrain

          "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
          -- The Mythbusters

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Windows 2000 Original AD Controller Dead

            Originally posted by ScatterBrain
            That's exactly what I said! I've NEVER had that happen.




            Yes I have read this - even have it printed out at home





            So my next question is this: What's the best protection for the running DC? I was thinking of killing the office (shutting down everything except for the DC) and ghosting it. If the worst happens, I'd restore the ghost image.

            Would everyone agree that would be safe?
            I would agree that it would definately be an option. It will not however take over from a good backup strategy.

            From my perspective the ghost image is a good idea for a base server with no AD installation on it. You have to remember that effectively the image is a snapshot of the system AT THAT POINT IN TIME. If your server fails a few weeks/months down the line you AD database will be of no use to you.

            Better to have a proper backup in my opinion.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Windows 2000 Original AD Controller Dead

              Originally posted by wullieb1
              I would agree that it would definately be an option. It will not however take over from a good backup strategy.

              From my perspective the ghost image is a good idea for a base server with no AD installation on it. You have to remember that effectively the image is a snapshot of the system AT THAT POINT IN TIME. If your server fails a few weeks/months down the line you AD database will be of no use to you.

              Better to have a proper backup in my opinion.
              Agreed, I wasn't intending to replace my current backup strategy with ghost. I was going to use the ghost image to help protect the only DC I had left in case I screwed the siezure process.

              Thankfully, I didn't need it, the network and the failed server are back in place.

              One last question - my backup process to the point has basically included a simple file copy to an offsite location. If I were to use NTBACKUP and grab a "System State" backup in addition to the file copy, would I be able to restore a failed DC from the two?

              If so, does someone have a "bare metal" restore follow that I can follow?
              --

              ScatterBrain

              "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
              -- The Mythbusters

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Windows 2000 Original AD Controller Dead

                For disaster recovery, you should have a System State backup - somewhere and preferably off-site as well.
                If you have more than one DC I wouldn't use Ghost at all - you'll run into replication problems.

                Here is a great lecture for this type of problem:
                http://teched.internetbroadcast.net/...=1&autostart=1
                TIA

                Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

                We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

                Comment

                Working...
                X