Assigning an IP to a notebook via a wireless access point

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assigning an IP to a notebook via a wireless access point

One of the directors went out and bought a wireless router so that he can use his notebook within the office wirelessly. He now wants me to set it up as a Wireless Access Point.

My question is, if I setup the router as an Access Point, how will the settings from the DHCP server propagate to the wireless client?

I can't see how the DHCP server options are going to be sent to any clients on the wireless network. How is this going to work?

Windows 2003 domain. WinXP client. Netgear WGR614 V6.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Assigning an IP to a notebook via a wireless access point

Can't speak for this particular router, but I have installed other routers as WAPs with no problems including DHCP. Make sure the router has DHCP disabled, no WAN connections set up and set its default gateway (if it has one) to the regular LAN gateway.

Basically, try it -- if it doesnt work, tell him that its a router, not a WAP, and to get the proper kit.

You could also give his laptop a static IP

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Make a connection from one of the 4 LAN ports on the WRG 614 to a switch on the network. As Tom said, turn off DHCP and change the default password on the WRG 614. Also consider some sort of security like WEP, WPA and MAC filtering. Read the manual as it tell you what you need to do. That's how I set one up.
      11 was a racehorse.
      22 was 12
      1111 race 1 day

************************************************** * ************************************************** ***********
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and click the LIKE option in the bottom right corner **
      ************************************************** ************************************************** ****** * *****

Comment

Seems to be working! Thanks all.
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
        |

Comment

Working...
        X