Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 2003 Server Network going NUTS!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 Server Network going NUTS!!

Hi There,

Hope i am allowed to paste a pic in here of my problem, if not then my apologies.

I have a HP server running two networks cards teamed. The server is running MS SQL 2000.

I have noticed this and wonder if anyone can advise as to what could be causing this throughput on the network cards.

It has service pack 2 Loaded for SQL, my concern was it could be the Blaster worm effecting it, but the SP that prevents it is loaded.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Windows 2003 Server Network going NUTS!!

is this a whole new server?
    With this i mean the OS how long is it installed?
    And do you have a firewall before your network?

Are there more servers in the Network?
    When so, is this also the backup server?

Comment

It has been running for about 3 years. Not too sure about that, as i am at my client. No, yes they do have a firewall in france where they go out of the network and break out to the internet.

There are plenty of servers on the network, about 8 just in this branch, they have a huge domain right across the world.

No this is not the backup server, this server purely runs SQL, but the databases do get backed up on a daily basis.

The network usage jumps in increments of about 700,000 Bytes a second, the card can handle 2gb's/sec as they are teamed and doing load balancing.

Comment

How many clients are connecting to the database???

Comment

Urm, about 24 at any given moment.

Comment

Are they connected to a large database that handles loads of transactions??

Could just be volume of traffic.

Comment

Well yeah i suppose, they do have a SQL database of about 68Gb and growing rapidly, but i mean isn't that traffic a bit excessive to me that looks like about 200 Terabytes?

Comment

Correct me if i'm wrong but it is actuall about 220GB of data transfer in 7 days.

This equates to 31GB of daily transfer.

Which equates to 3.875GB of hourly transfer.

Which equals 0.16GB of hourly data transfer per user.

Comment

Well Mr Smarty Pants, now that you put it like that, it does seem possible :P

Just never seen traffic like that before, supposed you have an eye opener when you move jobs hey, from a small company to such a large enterprise. BIC is a huge enterprise.

Well thanks again Wullieb1

have a great day

Comment

Originally posted by bwebber
                    Well Mr Smarty Pants, now that you put it like that, it does seem possible :P

Just never seen traffic like that before, supposed you have an eye opener when you move jobs hey, from a small company to such a large enterprise. BIC is a huge enterprise.

Well thanks again Wullieb1

have a great day
                    Glad to help.

it took me a while to get back to grips with the actual sizes again. Just need to remember that GB is 9 0's.

Comment

Working...
                    X