Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running the business on an Access database in the domain.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running the business on an Access database in the domain.

My superiors, computer illiterates, have been informed that one of the domain users is an Access programmer (VBA) and can run the company's total business off an Access database if he was allowed to develop the project.

We currently use Solomon which is the front-end of a SQL2000 server. I think this idea is rediculous, because it sounds that way, but I need facts to put together as to why a business of 100 users, earning $10M a year in Gross profit, working in a domain environment consisting of an existing SQL2000 database server, should NOT rely on an Access database for daily runnings.

Can you pls help me with the CONS to this theory?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Running the business on an Access database in the domain.

Just a couple of starters.
    Number 1
    Number 2 - Read the Overview re security

And what happens when the programmer leaves and nobody knows what he ahs done and what minor undocumented changes he has made?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

This one is also quite interessting
      http://www.netbenefit.com/support_sql.html
      11. Why should I upgrade my Access database to a shared SQL2000 database?
      The main reasons for upgrading are as follows:

Security - ability to restrict users on every object. Access only allows password on entire database. In addition, an Access file can be compromised if someone gets to your files. Once downloaded, the person can attempt to crack the database. They cannot download SQL Server
      Speed - SQL Server is a server, not a file based database. This means that it is possible to retrieve information more quickly when a database query is carried out.
      You can use stored procedures and indexes on SQL Server which has both speed and security benefits.
      Connections - SQL Server can handle many more connections. Access 2000 allows maximum of 10 simultaneous connections whereas SQL server this is unlimited.
      Scalability - SQL Server can handle many more users, both from connections and speed. SQL can also scale in terms of database size whereas Access 2000 is restricted to 2GB maximum and generally performs well up to 100Mb, SQL Server can scale to Terabytes of data with high performance.
      Ability to use stored procedures - speed and security benefits. In addition, a stored procedure based application can help you make your data access routines generic. This is not all of the reasons, but some of the more key reasons
      Performance - With Access 2000 it is often necessary to create multiple linked databases that affects the performance of a database search. With SQL Server the client will only need to have a single database, which increases performance and also means that you only have a single database to update
      Transaction logging - SQL Server has transaction logging which allows up to the minute recovery in the event of a database failure
      Back Ups - With Access database it is not possible to take a clean back up, as the database can only be fully backed up when it is not being accessed. Whereas with SQL Server you can take effective back ups at any time, even whilst in use and because of the transaction logging feature these backups can be frequent and undisruptive to performance

For further information on the benefits of SQL versus Access please visit http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinf.../SQLAccess.asp

Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

And if you have any remote users over VPN, mobile etc, then performance will be totally unacceptable with Access. You have to download the whole database over a (relatively) slow pipe, perform the query, and upload any updates over that same slow pipe.

With SQL, you send the query to the server, the server processes the results and updates and sends only the results back down the pipe to the remote device.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I love it when management tries to save money by cutting costs in areas which they totally don't understand.
          A+, Network+, Security+
          MCSE+Security on Server 2003

Comment

Originally posted by i64X
            I love it when management tries to save money by cutting costs in areas which they totally don't understand.
            SAVE MONEY????

They have employed two new guys to program Access. For each user, we are upgrading their Office 2003 Basic to Access 2003 (~AU$300?), they just bought 20 licenses for Terminal Server (~AU$12K)!

It would have been cheaper for management to listen to the IT Manager (Me!) and employ one person over two years to program VB.Net from the ground up using the EXISTING SQL database.

Now I know why IT people go from job-2-job. When management start making rediculous decisions, why should I hang around. They don't need me- they seem to be IT proficient......until something goes wrong and the finger is scanning the room for a scape-goat!
            |
            +-- JDMils
            |
            +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
            |

Comment

Working...
            X