Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IIS 6.0/W2K3: several domains, one IP - how?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IIS 6.0/W2K3: several domains, one IP - how?

Stumbling into a grey area for me I'm looking for some help and pointers into the correct practices.

Background. I have been having for ages a dedicated linux/apache box collocated in the US. As a part of my studies into Windows servers and AD, I'm having a W2k3 box running at home, and now I'm thinking about moving my websites to my box at home. For practical reasons I will have 2 static ips at most to my disposal, that is one for the DNS and one for all the websites (about 15 web domains or sub domains in total).

Question. Generally, how should I set this up on a W2K3 server with IIS 6? What are the available ways in IIS/W2K3 DNS of pointing the name queries to "virtual domains" - sharing several sites on one ip?
    I'd be most grateful of any help or links to solve my specific setup!

Thanks C.

You should be able to accomplish this by utilizing host headers.

There are some limitations to using host headers, most of which surround SSL but these limitations exist in Linux as well.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;187504

If you need help configuring this I can give you an example using screenshots. Let me know if you do...Its pretty straight forward.

Sub-domains can be handled in two ways...

blah.yourdomain.com -> virtual server

or

blah.yourdomain.com -> www.yourdomain.com/blah using ISAPI rewite [Windows version of ModRewrite]
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks abinson!
      I found in fact corresponding help files quit easily

Would you consider it a high-risk setup to have the webserver running on the same box as the AD/DC, and the rest of my private PC?

I need the AD to build around a virtual learning environment, and having the IIS running on the same box is the only way I can manage it with my present hardware. There is no e-commerce or any highly sensitive third-party info stored anywhere, so we are talking in a practical sense of things.
      The secondary DNS would get an old separate box to satisfy the basic idea of having an independent MX record available at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by caygill
        Thanks abinson!
        I found in fact corresponding help files quit easily

Would you consider it a high-risk setup to have the webserver running on the same box as the AD/DC, and the rest of my private PC?
        It's probably not the best security wise, but considering cost and others needs this is often a sacrifice we're forced to make. I do just this for my personal website.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I would strongly suggest not running public IIS server on a DC.
          IIS has a long lasting history of security holes, which more than once were exploited by script-kiddies.

If you do not need ASP support, but have no funds for setting up another server, I would use Apache's Windows port.

Just my 2 cents...
          Guy Teverovsky
          "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
          X