Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDC and PPP connections

Hi all,

I'm using a Win2K Adv Srv configured as a PDC.
    It has one NIC for my private network.

When I open a PPP connection, the (static) IP bounded to the PDC hostname gets hidden by the dynamically assigned IP which was received from my ISP.

For example, before opening the connection, pinging MyPDC returns 192.168.254.1 (OK) and after opening the connection, pinging MyPDC returns 80.178.68.138.

During the PPP connection, the AD stops functioning correctly, with the following symptoms:
    1. the DHCP console cannot find the DHCP server;
    2. the DNS self tests fail;
    3. lot of "UserEnv (1000)" errors are logged (message: "Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. Return value (59)").

Is there a solution to this? Or, I just cannot open PPP connections from a PDC.

Thanx,
    Adrian.

Simple solution would be to install another NIC.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Please explain why this will solve the problem. Thanks.

Comment

Maybe I misunderstood the question. Is this a NIC + Modem or NIC + Virtual adapter? (PPPoE)
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I cannot find why this is relevant. I tried two configurations:
          1. One NIC + One Modem;
          2. Two NICs (the first for my private network and the second for my DSL modem which was configured to work in bridged mode in order to access my ISP through PPPoE)

Both configurations, open a dial-up connection to the ISP RAS. The dial-up operation causes the aforementioned behavior.

Comment

I was under the impression that it was a virtual adapter + nic which was overriding the NIC properties. Adding a 2nd nic would allow you to keep this from occuring on one adapter allowing your network to still function.
            Andrew

Comment

Please explain why adding a second NIC will solve the problem.

Comment

By adding a 2nd nic the dhcp info from your ISP will override one nic but not both - that is why. Determine which one it tends to override and use the other nic as your primary adapter for the lan.
                Andrew

Comment

Working...
                X