Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to use local user profile settings with domain user account ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to use local user profile settings with domain user account ?

I have several computers that work in workgroup and I plan to move those machines to the domain.
    I set up DC, created user accounts, etc… but I still did not join computers to the domain because I would like to perform this action using minimum amount of time and ensuring that users will be able to continue their work undisturbed.

OK, while in workgroup, users were using local profiles with usernames like jsmith (John Smith).
    I decided to maintain the same usernames while working in domain. So, user jsmith will have the same username but in domain.

Now, my question is:
    What should I have to do in order to preserve user settings?

When users start to use domain login, the system will create additional user profile and users will have problems to find their files that they created while they were using local logon.
    I would like to enable users to use all their settings and to access all their documents, that were in use while they were working in workgroup (with local logon).

Can I accomplish this by simply copying local user profile to domain user profile?

Thanx and regards

danac
    BL

Re: how to use local user profile settings with domain user account ?

Check Out Files and Settings Transfer Wizard and User State Migration Tool

Google will help you with both

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

First you have to create the new account and then log in as a local administrator.

Under system in controlpanel click the advanced tab and there you have userprofile. Use the wizard to copy the local account settings to the domain account, make sure to set the right permisions.

Robert

Comment

One of the options is to copy the workgroup profile over the newly created domain profile. (Fig. 1)
        You can also switch to roaming profiles, in this cause you have less work to do.
        Just copy the local user profiles to a network location and configure the user account accordingly.
        Attached Files
        Regards,
        Csaba Papp
        MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
        Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

well, this was really fast !

the solution was just as i thought it should be (but wasn't sure )

thanks for the quick answer and my apologies for not checking previous questions.
          I found almost similar question just after I clicked submit button.

i will let you know of results once i am finished with this.

regards

danac
          BL

Comment

Working...
          X