Set WWW address to an internal server for internal users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set WWW address to an internal server for internal users

I have a problem whereby our external users can access our web site via www.jlrx.com.au but our internal users can only access it by the web server name WEBSERVER.

I would like to setup something in the DNS server so that if an internal user tries to access WWW.JLRX.COM.AU then the request is fed directly to the web server.

Is this possible and if so how?

Windows 2003
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Set WWW address to an internal server for internal users

is your company on a domain?

Comment

Yes. Windows 2003 domain.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

Damn JD, who hosts the site? Loads fast!!

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think an A Record is required. I have mine WWW with the IP of the web server.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Since your internal users are not able to access http://www.jlrx.com.au/ ( it is nice page ) but any other internet sites are available for them it seems that you have a split dns solution. Read more about split DNS at http://www.isaserver.org/pages/article_p.asp?id=995

Just creat a new Alias (CNAME) record in your internal dns, pointing www to webserver.
          Regards,
          Csaba Papp
          MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
          Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Originally posted by netxt
            Just creat a new Alias (CNAME) record in your internal dns, pointing www to webserver.

Are you sure its a CNAME record??

Anytim i've evr done it i've used an A record with the address of thje server.

OP, is your internal domain name the same as your external??

Comment

Yes, the web server name is WEBSERVER, witch is the server A record. Just an allias named www should be created.
              Regards,
              Csaba Papp
              Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Netxt, is this going to work if you have a multihomed webserver? With an Alias, it is not going to know which interface to use whereas an A Record is going to provide that. (I'm asking a question, not making a statement because I don't know which would be the more appropriate to use) Thanks.

JD, not intending to hijack your thread. Just thought my question may assist with a fuller answer to yours.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes, the web server name is WEBSERVER, witch is the server A record. Just an allias named www should be created.
                  I can certainly see where your coming from with it, but it's different from the way i would have done it thats all.

Comment

Maybe JD will come back with some updates and it will clarify the situation.
                    Regards,
                    Csaba Papp

Comment

Maybe JD will come back with some updates and it will clarify the situation.
                      I'm sure he/she will.

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for all the useful info. Here's a few responses to some questions raised:
                        1. The site is hosted internal to our network on a Windows 2000 Server machine running IIS5. We are connected to an ADSL 512K link (although at times when I'm downloading, it's registering 950K/sec!?)
                        2. Netxt- good point with the Split DNS setup. The only place I could find to setup the CNAME record was in the Foward Lookup Zones. I created a sub folder\New Zone called RESTORX.COM.AU and another called JLRX.COM.AU since we host two web sites on our web server (called WEBSERVER!)

I then created the CNAME record in the RESTORX.COM.AU domain with the settings:

Alias: www
                          FQDN: www.restorx.com.au
                          FQDN of Target: webserver.jlrxmelb.net

I then created the Host (A) record in the JLRX.COM.AU domain with the settings:

Host: www
                          FQDN: www.jlrx.com.au
                          IP Address: 192.64.10.11

Results are:

For www.restorx.com.au:

- Works like a treat. Exactly what I was after.

For www.jlrx.com.au:

- Works like a treat. Exactly what I was after.

So, it seems you can do it BOTH ways!
                        3. WullieB1, my internal domain is "jlrxmelb.net" and external domains are "jlrx.com.au" & "restorx.com.au". They differ.
                        4. Biggles77. I DO have a multi-homed web server, hosting two web sites for two different domains. But I have setup the IIS sites so that they check the host headers of incoming requests. My default site is jlrx.com.au. Thus if the header is "restorx.com.au", the request is redirected to the "restorx.com.au" site.

So multi-homed web servers are OK since you can control access via the host headers. The other option would be to assign another internal IP to the web server and "attach" the "other" site to that IP.

The only issue I have now is, not as bad as my original (that's fixed due to you guys), but if a users types in "restorx.com.au" or "jlrx.com.au" on the internal network, the page is not found since the Host (A) & CNAME records are looking for "www" at the start of the domain name. Is there a solution to this?

PS Thanks guys, I've learnt a lot about DNS in the last few days!!
                        Last edited by JDMils; 26th July 2006, 00:21.
                        |
                        +-- JDMils
                        |
                        |

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                          Netxt, is this going to work if you have a multihomed webserver? With an Alias, it is not going to know which interface to use whereas an A Record is going to provide that. (I'm asking a question, not making a statement because I don't know which would be the more appropriate to use)
                          My understanding is CNAME point to an A record (I guess you could even point to another CNAME) which points to an IP addr. so being multihomed shouldn't be an issue, right?
                          Originally posted by JDMils
                          The only issue I have now is, not as bad as my original (that's fixed due to you guys), but if a users types in "restorx.com.au" or "jlrx.com.au" on the internal network, the page is not found since the Host (A) & CNAME records are looking for "www" at the start of the domain name. Is there a solution to this?
                          You should be able to add a CNAME or A record and leave the name blank. It will then use the parent folder for its FQDN.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                          X