Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Naming Issue

Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance for taking the time to look over my post and possibly offer suggestions to fix my problem. Currently we are using a Linux distrobution/Samba as our Domain solution, which basically only offers user authentication. We are going to be moving to a 2003 AD system in the next month or so. There is one problem however that I do not know how to solve. When i created the domain through samba I used the domain name.. ourdomain.com. So ourdomain.com is what appears when a user gets to the XP Login Screen. We lost our DC a few times (once due to me screwing around and the other due to hardware failure) and the distro I am using has no ability to provide a backup DC. So i was forced to readd everyone to the domain.

Now to get to the problem. Our users have all their profiles stored locally, but because we lost the domain a few times, and I was a newbie to how windows uses domains and profiles, i didn't realize it would create a new profile under the username.domainname.com and username.domainname.com.000 and so on. Some of our users are using the username.domainname.com as their profile and have been for some time. These users use AUtocad which stores a great deal of information in the registry that points to profiles. My problem lies in the fact that when I create a domain.com domain in AD, the only thing that appears in the domain login is the domain name and not the .com extension. Well when i try to link these users to their correct profiles it won't work because these users have profiles of username.domainname.com and not just username.domainname. Is there anyway to have the domain name show up to the user as its full dns name, ie domainname.com and not just domainname.

I hope this isn't too confusing. If it is let me know and I'll try to explain it better. Thanks

Re: Domain Naming Issue

I don't think your issue lies in the name of the folder. It's that the system sees the user as a different user.
    See this post
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=8781=&goto#10

I don't know if this is what you're looking for...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324734/
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
      I don't know if this is what you're looking for...
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324734/
      I've been dreading this issue ever since we decided to go to a Sever 2003 system, but you just made things perfect for me. Thank you so much, that was exactly what I was looking for!

Comment

Glad to help
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X