No announcement yet.

Restoring files How it can go wrong.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring files How it can go wrong.

Hi All

For my first post I thought I'd share a problem I have come across recently. This is more a word to the wise rather than a request for help.
    I am outsourced to a company. We have Windows Server 2000, W2K pro on clients, 4 sites and 200 users.

The IT staff here are, shall we say not wise is the way of windows server. They play with things and break things. I am currently in the process of locking things down.

Anyway one user decided that he needed to restore a file (small .xls file) so I advised him to restore the file using Arcserve and restore the file into a folder on the desktop so that he can check the file before he replaces the existing one. No problem I though.. Was I wrong!

So on the evening I got a warning about space and problems encountered on the server, I checked properties on the folder and found several gigabites, thinking that the other guy had restored the entire drive that the file was stored on (F I hit delete (big mistake!)... But he had not restored the F: drive had he.. oh no that was too simple. He had restored the C: drive, I think a system restore. I didnt realise this until I got errors during the delete (my fault for not checking)
    I found that I had a full %System% path in the desktop folder compleate with WINNT & SYSVOL\sysvol\domain\etc and yes they where linked to the normal SYSVOL folder. Gasp!! I was horrified to think of the implications of this, as I had already deleted the GPO's and Netlogon scripts. I then went on holiday for 3 weeks placing backup tapes seperate and leaving instructions for them not to be used.... You guessed it they where used!

Restoring the GPO's and Scripts was no great pain. The crux of this however is the NTFS Junction that should have been created and was not!

NTFS Junction points are a type of reparse point that project the contents of a folder (in this case the SYSVOL folder) to another location. However I have tried and tried and tried "delrp", "linkd" & a prog called "Junction" (all dos command line tools) and none of them identify a Junction Point, let alone allow me to delete one. So I'm stuck with this folder until we decide to do a server re-build.

The other down side to this is that I have found errors and problems with the recovered GPO's in that some of them, although showing policies in force and not working I have had to re-do several from scratch to get them to work.

Hope this was informative I can guess that it will have raised eyebrows and even fits of laughter. But at the end of the day if only one person learned something then it served its purpose.

The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
    ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **