No announcement yet.

internet sharing solution in a domain environment

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• internet sharing solution in a domain environment

Hi all,
    I'm pretty new to Active Directory & domain. I've been assigned a project, setting up a domain network. There will be 20 workstations running Win2Kpro and a Domain Controller running Win2K Advanced Server. I'm currently in the test phase and I've got about 15 days before the test phase should finish.
    I experienced quite a few problems while on the test phase. The part that I'm stuck right now is internet sharing. Its only after stumbling across this site that I came to know ICS could mess with the existing DNS & DHCP in the DC. Most of my problems were solved. Since then I havent used ICS, so I'm not having all sorts of DNS related problems. Now, I'm in a dillema. The only ways I know to share an internet connection is thru ICS & proxies(eg WinGate). WinGate proxy server also uses its own DHCP & DNS so it could ruin the the existing one in the DC. But the DHCP & DNS in the WinGate can be disabled unlike ICS. I hope WinGate would work. Still, the hassle of configuring the applications to use WinGate proxy is there.
    And I haven't used Routing & NAT before nso I'm reluctant on using it.
    I may sound dumb but plzz let me ask you a laymans question.
    The DC will be the DNS, DHCP and Internet Server.
    Will the client be able to use internet if I enable DNS forwarding to ISPs DNS servers and configure the client to use the DCs IP as the gateway and DNS server? I mean without using ICS & Proxy.

Is there a simple guide to setting up NAT & Routing on Win2K Servers.

Plzzz lead me to enlightenment.
    Thankx in advance.

PS: I've got another thread at the Active Directory section. Plzzz have a look.

I suggest you go on and try Routing and Remote Accress + NAT. It will do anything ICS does while giving you the ability to change any setting you want. Configuring isn't that hard and it's mostly done through a wizard. If you still can't get it to work please reply with all the required network configuration info.

Also, with a network that has 20-30 computers I'd start looking into sone dedicated hardware router/modem. They're cheap and easy to use, and they'll free needed resources from your single server.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services

Thankx a lot Daniel.
      I'll soon try to configure Routing + NAT and let you know how it goes.
      Once again, thank you very much for showing the willingness to help.
      About router, they currently don't have a plan for that, I'll try to convince them.