integrating updates to windows xp installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• integrating updates to windows xp installation

I want to integrate the windows xp updates to my windows xp professional sp1 installation. Can anyone help me how to do this?
    thanks

It's not possible to integrate hotfixes into the installation media. You can automate the installation of the hotfixes quite easily, but as far as I know they cannot be integrated.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I was looking into this and couldn't find an answer either, all I came up with was to ghost an image and blast it out other than using windows

Comment

Check out XPCreate...

XPCREATE is a utility program that will combine an original XP distribution and assorted hotfixes and updates to produce an up-to-date XP Distibution CD. XPCREATE allows the user to define custon installations and setup programs, but it's main richness lies in the slipstreaming of most available updates and hotfixes, thus insuring the integrity of both the initial installation, and the physical CD media. Slipstreaming the latest hotfixes and updates is important in avoiding possible vulnurability attacks during the setup phase, and in avoiding the need to re-apply hotfixes after a windows component is added or removed.

When run, XPCREATE connects to an Internet server to obtain a list of hotfixes that must be downloaded for your Windows version. This list will be used to determine which files must be downloaded from the internet, and which files are already present locally. If your language or version does not appear to be supprted, please post a message in the MSFN forums.

XPCREATE is intended for the user that wishes to easily maintain an up-to-date XP. XPCREATE can update your existing XP distribution to include all service packs, hotfixes and updates, without requiring you to edit a single XP configuration file. Intended users range from the non-computer literate whose goal is to be protected from vulnerabilites during setup, to system adminitrators that require maximum hotfix integration.
        Edit: Oops forgot link...

Site

Download
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Any working link to that tool?

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Sorry if it's too old a topic, but to integrate hotfixes one can use, besides XPCreate, Nuhi's nLite:
            Code:
            http://www.nliteos.com
            and perhaps Autopatcher
            Code:
            http://www.autopatcher.com/
            but I find it to "break" more things and just not to my taste I guess ..

.. to go with nLite, Ryan has a website with "packs" of ready-made post SP2 updates, but I found them to make winblows unstable as well
            Code:
            http://ryanvm.msfn.org/
            Z68A-G43 (G3) - i7-3770 - Vengeance 2x4GB 2133MHz - GTX 650 Gainward - WD 1TB 64MB SATA - Win7 Pro/64 SP1 / Trusty Xfce AMD64

Comment

Re: integrating updates to windows xp installation

Originally posted by oneblood
              I want to integrate the windows xp updates to my windows xp professional sp1 installation. Can anyone help me how to do this?
              thanks
              SP2 will have most of your hotfixes already. But you just need to build one script to run all the hotfixes quiet and fast

Just type Q######_XXX_YYY_ZZZ_LLL.exe and the switch
              /F Forces other applications to close at shutdown.
              /N Does not back up files for removing hotfixes.
              /Z Does not restart the computer after the installation is completed.
              /Q Uses quiet mode; no user interaction is required.
              /U Uses unattended Setup mode.
              /L Lists installed hotfixes.

You can putt all the hotfixes in one cd-rom drive.
              MCSE w2k
              MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
              MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Re: integrating updates to windows xp installation

Originally posted by windux
                SP2 will have most of your hotfixes already..
                Yea, except for sixteen or so post-SP2 Critical updates that exist

.. "Critical Updates:"
                These updates are provided to help resolve known issues and protect your computer from known security vulnerabilities.
                Code:
                http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/default.mspx
                The above definition provided only to demonstrate the "insignificance" of Critical Updates; if you get my flow ..
                Z68A-G43 (G3) - i7-3770 - Vengeance 2x4GB 2133MHz - GTX 650 Gainward - WD 1TB 64MB SATA - Win7 Pro/64 SP1 / Trusty Xfce AMD64

Comment

Working...
                X