Transferring FSMO Roles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring FSMO Roles

I am in the process or will be in the process of transferring all of the FSMO roles from a Windows 2000 server to a newer Windows 2003 server. I have a handle, or at least I beleive I do, on how to transfer the roles. My question though is regrading the Schema Master role. In my research, I saw a case where someone had mentioned that you must decomission the old DC after moving/transferring that role to the new server; is this correct?? If I transferred over all these roles to the Windows 2003 server would I need to decomission the older 2000 server; can they coexist after the transfer?? This will be the first Windows 2003 server in our domain; the rest of the DCs are 2000 servers. We are also running Exchange 2000.

Also I have a second question. This new 2003 server will replace a 2000 server running DHCP. When migrating over DHCP to this new 2003 server do I have to make sure it is a member server or does it matter?? I've heard/read that it is easier to migrate the DHCP database to a server that is a member server because of the local admin rights that you need. Has anyone migrated DHCP from one 2000 server to a 2003 server while both are DCs???

This is a single domain environment as well.

Re: Transferring FSMO Roles

1. Maybe this will help - http://www.petri.co.il/transferring_fsmo_roles.htm

When I performed this form 2000 to 2003 I didn't have to decomission the 2000 server, I just denoted it after the transfer and everything ran OK

2. I migrated from a 2000 DC to a 2003 DC with no problems. Maybe this will help - http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=5130

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Yeah I've been doing a lot of reserach on my own. It's funny I already had that document printed out. I'm just looking for even more information.

What did you do about your DNS infrastructure?? What about DHCP?? Just asking because this 2000 server has both of those running on it as well. So I'll have to deal with that too. We have an AD-Integrated DNS scheme here so I should just be able to run DNS on this new server, and everything should replicate over???

Comment

I promoted my new 2003 server to be a DC (After installing DHCP and DNS) the DNS side of it was sorted by AD, just needed to set-up a reverse DNS zone (As this was not configured on the 2000 box)

I then set-up an 50-50 split of DHCP scopes on my two new 2003 servers in the even of one going down, the other will take over. i know it's supposed to be 80-20 but this was a small company and if one server went down then there were enough advailable IP Addresses on one server to handle the whole company.

The lease duration on the other server was qlready quite low (I think it was about 1 hr - Not my doing BTW) so I just authorised and activated the scopes and disabled the other DHCP service. Kept an eye on it and all the machines were picking up new IP addresses from the new DHCP server. You could migrate the scopes if you wanted to but I found this way easier.

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X