How do I modem share?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I modem share?

I have a dial-up modem which I want to share amongst four domain workstations (Win2K). They want to use the modem to dial the bank from each workstation (one-at-a-time).

I've tried setting up a new Win2003 server as a Telephony server and setup the client using tcmsetup, but I can't get it to work. I can dial from the server but I can't figger out how to get the workstations to find it and work.

PS. My server is also running ISA Server 2004- do I need to do something in ISA to get it to work?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: How do I modem share?

Is this a straight dialup to the bank's site or is there some bank software involved in the process? If software is involved, does the bank have a "network" version or option? (I have/had a similar problem that was solved by talking to the bank's helpdesk)
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: How do I modem share?

Thanks for the reply. The clients used to use TCMSetup to setup a virtual modem connection to the server when it was a Win2K Server.

Since I upgraded the server to Win2K3 Server, none of these clients can connect to the virtual modem using TCMSetup. If I run TCMSetup on a computer which has never used it before, it connects straight away to the virtual modem on the Win2K3 server, so the server is functioning OK.

There must be a file or reg setting which is pointing to the old server in some way on these workstations which were using TCMSetup that is stopping them from seeing the virtual modem.

Note that the modem on the Win2K3 server becomes a modem on the client PCs which connect to it, thus any PCs which I run TCMSetup on "think" the modem is actually connected directly to them.

I spoke to the bank, they say their internet version is a while to come still. Typical banks using archaeic software and modems- aren't they making enuf profit yet?

For now I'm using an evaluation version of modem share software, but that's not going to last long so I need to find a solution quick.
      Last edited by JDMils; 17th July 2006, 00:26.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
      |

Comment

Working...
      X