DNS question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS question

I am trying to set up a windows server at work. It can be an SBS 2003 or a w2k3 server. The server will be the only one in its domain. The server will connect to the PCs via a Nortel switch. There are already a w2k3 server on the switch and a Novell Netware 6.5 server on the switch. The w2k3 server already on the switch is a classic configuration in which the w2k3 server contains 2 NICs and serves IPs thru DHCP. On this w2k3 server one NIC is local with 5 PCs on a small switch and the other NIC goes to the internet thru the Nortel switch. Unfortunately this is not the case for my server because all the rest of the PCs are scattered around the office with their cable drops terminating at the Nortel switch. So the only pace I can reach all the PCs is to place the server on the Nortel switch.

In all of the win server books I've read the dns of the server is supposed to point to itself, the server dns is supposed to resolved domain addesses and forward everything it cannot resolve to the external dns's. How can I do this when everything ends at the Nortel switch? On the Nortel switch the server and the PCs are peers in that they all have common access to the internet.

I tried to simulate the problem at home with my dsl line. My dsl goes to a Dlink router which goes to two PCs. I used the dns's supplied by Verizon, my dsl provider and everything worked fine. I put up an sbs 2003 server. I connected it to the Dlink router just like the PCs. (or just like the PCs and the server at work where everything connects at the Nortel switch). For my PC I put the dns of the server as my dns. At the server I forwarded unresolved addresses to the external dns's. The server saw the internet just fine. The pc could not see the internet. The PC could ping the domain controller but I could not join the domain. And I could not complete Http://servername/ConnectComputer.

The use of a single NIC connecting the server to the switch has to be pretty common. The only solution I can see for my home test is to point to the external dns's on my PC and use Host and LMHost files on the PC. At work I guess I can submit my domain info to the guys who control the DNS that is at the other end of the Nortel switch.

I have to be missing something obvious here.

Does anyone have any comments??? Please.

Re: DNS question

Do an IPCONFIG /ALL for the XP machines and post it.
    Is DNS on any server at the moment?
    Is the new server a Member Server or is it going to be a DC or will it be the DNS Server?

Second paragraph: Common access to the Internet is irrelevant. Where do the PCs point for their DNS?

Third paragraph: Did the PC have the IP of the DNS Server?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I installed Win Server 2003 and it worked just fine. None of the dns issues I had with SBS 2003. From all I read SBS 2003 is really a very customized version 0f Win 2003 and, as such, it is very fragile if you don't use the wizards. I guess this is true. Win 2003 had no DNS issues even though I did everything the same way I did under SBS 2003 AND Win 2003 let me join the domain without any of the odd rejection messages I had received before.

Comment

Huh???????
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X