Server Motherboard Died

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Motherboard Died

Motherboard died today in one of the DCs. It's offline now. Anyway, after moving the OS drive (not including the mirror) into a machine with identical hardware I find that the drive won't boot. It will pass POST, then the screen goes blank except for the cursor at the top left of the screen. The drive should be intact... I expected it to at least show the boot menu but it doesn't.

The machine is working fine, I took an old drive from a WinXP machine and put it in and it loads right up. The drive from the server is detected by the bios and is accessible via the recovery console [and WinXP], I checked it for errors using chkdsk and it found a few and fixed them. I ran fixboot and bootcfg /list from the console nothing appears to be wrong. After rebooting, same deal - blinking cursor (no boot menu, no nothing). I ran the repair, it copies the files then reboots to the cursor again. The drive is a Western Digital 40GB UATA, I checked it using the diagnostic tools from the manufacturer and there is nothing wrong with it.

I haven't tried booting from the mirror.

I'm not sure what the deal is with this damn thing. Anyone else seen this before?

I'm about to go scorched earth on this mofo hdd.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Server Motherboard Died

Has the server got any SCSI cards in it?
    Did you try booting from the Secondary IDE controller?
    Can you Ghost the problem drive to a different HDD and try the different drive?
    Is the drive set as Master, Slave or CS? (I know, it shouldn't make a difference.)
    Are you using the same cables?
    Is the motherboard from a brand name server?
    Do the motherboards have the same Revision number? (Grasping for straws now)
    Is the BOOT.INI set to boot from the appropriate drive?
    Try a different Molex connector for the HDD. (Really grasping)
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I don't know what was wrong with it but I got it fixed. I ghosted the drive image to our fileserver then formatted the drive. Reghosted it and the piece of crap booted up!?

Whew! That was a long night.
      Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Ah yes, the science of IT.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X