speed up network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speed up network

Ive started at a new school and my first task is to speed up the network as it is very slow considering they have decent pc's and servers.

firstly, they are using roaming profiles, if i put office and all the programms needed on each pc will this speed up things as the profile will be smaller.

I will diable netbios but what else can I do?

thought of lengthening the dhcp lease times but pupils move about and log back on else where every hour so will long lease times help?

burst handling? any use although all pc's seem to get logged on which suggests dhcp can handle the requests.

servers places elsewhere? we only have 1 domain and all servrs are in 1 area, how could i find bottle necks?

we have a cach server so the internet is not the problem just everything else.

we are using 2000 and 2000 server, one layer of OU's and 1600 students all on networked pc's of which most are under 2 years old. there are 3 servers all again half decent so hardware is not the issue.

please help

This has less to do with OS, rather than with network.
    DHCP is not resource consuming.
    If all your clients are W2K and above, you can safely drop NBT.

What I would be looking into is trying to break the LAN into smaller broadcast domain. VLANs can do sometimes wonders.

Roaming profiles are loaded when you logon and synced when you log off and include much unneeded data like IE temp files. If you have AD, you might want to look into folder redirection GPO feature and redirect to the network only the stuff you really need to put on the servers.

Can you give some more details about the physical layout of the network ? (Layer 2-3)
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

thanks for getting back to me

I was thinking of subnetting the network ddue to broad cast etc. Can you change the node type though from broad cast to h node etc? would that sort it?

the network layout is 3 large buildings in 1 domain with 1 subnet- hence a lot of broadcast traffic. students logging off then on again every hour.

Can you explain more on ther folder redirection in group policy. i thought this was used to send my documents to the server etcv.. if there is anything else i can do thet would be good.

Comment

How many PCs are on the network?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

try this:
          1. Drop NetBios
          2. Remove DHCP and give each WS its own IP
          this should remove broadcasts accros your network
          3. install snifer for a week period to monitor a network data flow
          на клеточном уровне я очень занят

Comment

Make sure "My Documents" are excluded from the roaming profile and are located on a server. Check the size of user profiles and see what else can be redirected to a central location rather than copied from server to client every time a user logs on.

Use perfmon on the servers to get a baseline -- look at network and server counters first.

Tom
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

think I got what your saying

Ahh ha I was about to go subnetting every classroom, what do I do?, redirect my documents to a central file? arean't the my docs and everything else doing that anyway? (roaming profiles).

Comment

Hi Jonny.
                With roaming profiles, everything gets copied from the server to the client. If your user has 100Mb of files in My Documents, that all gets copied.

If My Documents is redirected, it will not get copied, reducing traffic by about 90%. If you stop users saving to their desktops and also turn off caching (not needed on a LAN environment) that should bring each profile down to a couple of Mb and increase logon times.

Do some random checks of profile sizes, get over the shock, and then see where in the profile the bloat is. You can redirect other parts of the profile as well if you need to.

Tom
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

roaming profiles

I looked at the profiles and some parts are large however I still can't see what you are getting at (excuse me for being thick!). If redirected they will still load and upload to where they are redirected (server to PC during logon) and so the data will still have to come from the server to the work station which would make logon the same painfull process.

Also I'm in a school where kids are logging on every 50 minutes and so each PC has a copy of each profile and have to be deleted as it takes a lot of space when 50 people are using 1 machine. Can I stop the PC saving the profile? they also get corrupted when someone turns off the pc rather than logging off. I have to come and delete the profile so it can be freshly reloaded. How can I solve this?

Comment

How much bandwidth is consumed by browser elections? Maybe disabling the client from paticipating in browser election will help?

Comment

browser elections?

what 's this? and if it may help how do you do it?

Comment

browser elections?

what 's this? and if it may help how do you do it?

Comment

Working...
                        X