X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my first backup on tape

Hello,

I want to make a backup of a partition (~30 GB) from our Windows 2003
    server, using NTBackup. We have a DAT72 and DDS4 tapes (20GB)
    I scheduled the backup to run at midnight. Next morning when I saw that
    nothing happed I started manualy the backup but at the end ( 90%) I was asked
    to insert a new media (number 5). It seem that my tape drive does not support compresion. I inserted all media available but I still got the window in wich I was asked to insert media number 5.
    I never worked with tapes until now, and I think my error is smething about
    preparing the tapes.

Can you please help me ?
    Thank you for your help!

Re: my first backup on tape

Hi,
    You should be used some advance backup media tape. Me also using regularly AIT and Super DLT meida tape for network backup storage. If you want to more information regarding to the any type of the media tape. Your can chek the www.Tape4Backup.com site. you can contact and get online help from Tape 4 Backup regarding to the all Bakcup media tapes.
    Regards,
    Rock

Comment

Re: my first backup on tape

Originally posted by axa2001ro
      I want to make a backup of a partition (~30 GB) from our Windows 2003
      server, using NTBackup. We have a DAT72 and DDS4 tapes (20GB)
      I scheduled the backup to run at midnight. Next morning when I saw that
      nothing happed I started manualy the backup but at the end ( 90%) I was asked
      to insert a new media (number 5). It seem that my tape drive does not support compresion.
      Well the standard for reporting the compressed capacity is just doubling the uncompressed size. This does not mean that you'll be able to fit that much on a tape. Compression varies depending on the type of file. For instance, if you were to backup all .jpg you would notice that they compress very little if at all because .JPGs are a compressed image. On the other hand you'll find that if you compress text files you'll get somewhere around 90% compression (e.g. 90MB compresses to 9MB). So if it was all text files you might be able to fit 300GB worth on a 30GB tape.

I inserted all media available but I still got the window in wich I was asked to insert media number 5.
      I never worked with tapes until now, and I think my error is smething about
      preparing the tapes.
      I believe that all the tapes in a backup set need to be prepared beforehand (which might be why it didn't run as scheduled). Check out this link about media management
      Last edited by JeremyW; 8th September 2006, 13:16.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
      X