SERVER 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SERVER 2003

Thanks for allowing me to join your group.

I have a school project.

I installed Virtual PC and installed Windows 2003.....I am supposed to image this Server and build 2 other Server......can you tell me how I do that.....???????

Thanks

Are you restricted to what applications you can use to acheive your goal?

If not, I'd use ghost.

If you're required to use Windows' built-in tools you'll need to use sysprep to make the image, check out this page for instructions.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...uplication.asp

Also - since you're using Virtual PC using either tool may pose a problem if you're trying to image a virtual OS [Win2003].

You're better off just copying the virtual PC files into two new directories to make 2 new servers. It will essentially create 2 exact images because all of the information is stored in a single file.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

SERVER 2003

Thanks........I knew of SysPrep but I am still shaky on its use and we arent supposed to use Ghost.

I'll try it and see how it works.

Thanks again

Comment

Hi Ahyee,
        According to Microsoft, you have to use sysprep in conjunction with a third party imaging tool (Ghost or Partition Magic or Server Image). Sysprep on its own will prepare for imaging by removing SIDs and getting the OS into a "pre activation" state but it will not do the imaging itself.

I would check this out on Technet and tell your instructor you cannot do it without an additional tool -- check the link ahinson posted -- it says the same on at least two occasions.

For virtual PC, consider copying and renaming the .hdd file that holds the disk image (no tools needed) but this is obviously an artificial situation and for the real world you should know how to use ghosting tools

All the best
        Tomsk
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

SERVER 2003

Thanks Guys,

What I did was prepare an answerfile using setupmger then used sysprep to seal it............I then copied HDD 1 to create HDD 2 and 3.....there by building my domain....so that worked fine.

However I do need some hints on configuring DNS, DHCP and installing RAID.......this is my project for tomorrow.

As I said, I have the 3 Servers up.......Server 2 is my domain controller which had to be installed WITHOUT DNS.....is there a "How To" anywhere on the net........????????

Thanks

Comment

As long as you have another working DNS server that supports dynamic updates (BIND 4.9.6) and SRV records (BIND 8.2.1) you do not need to put the DNS server on your DC. DNS must be running before you dcpromo and create your domain. The easiest way is to install it as part of the DCPROMO on the first DC of the forest root domain but you could install DNS on another server on your virtual group and as long as that is the DNS server the DC points to, you will be able to promote it without problems.

RAID -- I assume software? -- will depend on the number of virtual disks you can install with VirtualPC -- IIRC it is 3 so you will be able to do mirrors and stripes but not RAID5 since one disk is the system/boot partition.

DHCP -- follow the Wizard -- it makes most of it clear for you.

Do you want to give us more details about the course -- it sounds fun

All the best
            Tom
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

SERVER 2003

Hi Tom,

Can you tell me where to find the wizards........???????

My project questions are......."Install AD (which I did) then configure DHCP and DNS"......."Configure a RAID 1 set on Server 3"

I have 3 Servers up and running using Virtual PC....Sever 1 is my gateway to the internet.....Server 2 is my DC with A D running(which is where I am supposed to configure DHCP & DNS).....Server 3 gets IIS, RAID, FILE & PRINT services.

By the way, I did get an 86% on my WinXP Final last night...............this included 100questions and a practical exam.

Thanks
              D

Comment

Working...
              X