Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading w2k member server to w2003 member server

Hi guys

I have the job of upgrading a std w2k member server to std w2003 member server running sql2000. I've been doing my scouting around the web, and most upgrades talk about DCs and complications with the domain. All i want to do upgrade a member server, is it as straight forward as a std upgrade, or is there anything to watch out for??

Any experience or links you could let me see would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Re: Upgrading w2k member server to w2003 member server

1. Upgrade the server drivers/BIOS etc.
    2. Upgrade SQL 2000 to SP4 and install all SQL hotfixes.
    3. Disable Antivirus during the upgrade.
    4. Disable SQL services during the upgrade.
    5. Do a test lab + backup for the server.
    6. Consider to reinstall the server from 0.

Regards,

Yuval
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Originally posted by yuval14
      1. Upgrade the server drivers/BIOS etc.
      2. Upgrade SQL 2000 to SP4 and install all SQL hotfixes.
      3. Disable Antivirus during the upgrade.
      4. Disable SQL services during the upgrade.
      5. Do a test lab + backup for the server.
      6. Consider to reinstall the server from 0.

Regards,

Yuval
      7. No matter what you're doing, no matter how fool proof it may be, always have a back out plan. That may be what yuval14 was getting at in #6

Basically this means having the necessary documentation, tape backups, and available time in order to restore this member server from scratch.

For large weekend projects I will generate a weekend time line to map out all the steps and the estimated times. In the time line I will also have a "point of no return". This is the point at which you must begin a full rebuild/recovery/backout plan with testing before Monday morning production starts. If you go beyond the point of no return and you're still fumbling around, you've blown your backout plan if the goal is to finish before users show up for work Monday morning.

Jas
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you both for your infomation and ideas. The Server is actually still pre-production so built but not in use yet, so it wont affect anyone if it falls flat on its face. I also have a full backup so it it does go belly up i''ll endevour to restore, and go back to the drawing board.

thanks again

Rob.

Comment

Working...
        X