Cluster Quantum disk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cluster Quantum disk

Setup - 2 x Windows 2003 Enterprise server SP1 and fully patched running on VM

Server 01 - AD, DNS
    Server 02 - Member Server

I have been trying to configure Server01 as a cluster then join server 02 to the cluster. I have configured the VM with a SCSI controller and a 500mb SCSI drive. When creating a new cluster it says it cant find a shareable Quantum disk and defaults to the local disk. This is created successfully but then when I try to add server 02 to the cluster it cant find the quantum disk.

SCSI disk was convered to a simply dynamic disk and formatted. I have also tried it as a basic disk and still get the same problem.

Do remove the administrator share (F$) and share it normally or what??

Anyone know why it wont use the SCSI disk as the quantum disk??

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Cluster Quantum disk

Hi there M80ARM

It's a quorum disk, not quantum

Anyway, I've run into your situation several times with the Win2k3 cluster setup wizard checker thingy. If you are sure your quorum disk is shared properly on the SCSI bus and both cluster nodes can see the disk, then proceed with the following. In the clustering wizard, (and I'm going from memory here), choose advanced mode for creating the cluster (and then later on adding the 2nd node to the cluster). In advanced mode, you basically tell it not to check to see if the quorum disk is available to all nodes. For some reason, this quorum availability check frequently fails even when it's supposed to pass, when then prevents you from adding nodes to the cluster.

Trust me, it will all work out in advanced mode if you have the quorum disk set up right.

BTW, not sure who's virtualization you are using but VMware clustering only supports 2 node clusters even though Windows 2003 supports up to 8 nodes.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I use virtual server 2005. 2 nodes will be fine for what I am doing with it.

Cheers for the info. I'm pretty sure I tried that but it was before I set up the quorum () disk corectly.

I think I am going to blat the two VM's and start fresh.

Cheers for the info

I'll let you know how it goes

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

UPDATE:

Build two fresh VM's same set-up as before.

The quorum disk has been configured as a fixed size disk and attached to the VM via SCSI.

After starting the cluster wizard and selecting advanced everything work, but after it creates the cluster the Q:\ drive (Quorum) fails to start.

The disk is formatted as a basic disk I can read / write to the disk.

Event logs just say the disk failed to start.

Any ideas??

I've backed up the VM just before the point of creating the cluster so I can try different scenarios without having to rebuild the VM again.

I have been using help from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...y/cvs2005.mspx but I cant see where I am going wrong

Any help appreciated

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

I'm also going from memory but I thought, and maybe this doesn't apply because of the virtual environment, that SCSI was only supported for a single node cluster (for testing purposes obviously).
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
            I'm also going from memory but I thought, and maybe this doesn't apply because of the virtual environment, that SCSI was only supported for a single node cluster (for testing purposes obviously).
            I was attempting to set this up on the first node and this is where I am getting the problem, even before I attempt to introduce the second node.

According the MS article they they tell you how to configure it as a two node cluster - except I can't get it to work

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

And you're assigning the Q: drive as the quorum for the cluster disk resource correct?

Cluster disk resources get taken over by a filter driver that protects them (and makes them unreadable) if the cluster service is not started.

Ensure that the hidden device called Cluster Disk Driver is present and started. In order to view the Cluster Disk Driver in Device Manager, you must change the view in the MMC to view hidden devices.

Jas
              Attached Files
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche
                And you're assigning the Q: drive as the quorum for the cluster disk resource correct?

Cluster disk resources get taken over by a filter driver that protects them (and makes them unreadable) if the cluster service is not started.

Ensure that the hidden device called Cluster Disk Driver is present and started. In order to view the Cluster Disk Driver in Device Manager, you must change the view in the MMC to view hidden devices.

Jas
                Yes, I have assiged the Q: drive for the quoron drive. I will give that a try and get back to you

Thanks

Michael
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

MMmm For some reason I dont seem to have those in my device manager?

Do you need to install some additional Clustering applications before running the cluster administrator?

I have configured the cluster again and still the same error. When I checked device manager I dont have those two cluster devices?

Michael

** UPDATE **

I scanned the non plug and play folder for new devices and they appeared. Checked both devices and they are both started.

Jason when you add a SCSI adapter to a VM do you check the "Share SCSI bus for clustering" option?

Michael
                  Last edited by m80arm; 30th June 2006, 21:50.
                  Michael Armstrong
                  www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

SORTED:

"Share SCSI bus for clustering" looks to have solved the problem. It's wierd coz no where mentions this when configuring clustering within VM's.

I'll see what happens when I try to add another node to the cluster.

Cheers for the help Jason - keep an eye on this thread coz I may need you again

Michael
                    Michael Armstrong
                    www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm
                      MMmm For some reason I dont seem to have those in my device manager?
                      In Device Manager, you have to select View, Show Hidden Devices. Then drill down into Non-Plug and Play Drivers. See screenshots 1, 2, and 3.

Do you need to install some additional Clustering applications before running the cluster administrator?
                      No

I have configured the cluster again and still the same error. When I checked device manager I dont have those two cluster devices?

Michael

** UPDATE **

I scanned the non plug and play folder for new devices and they appeared. Checked both devices and they are both started.

Jason when you add a SCSI adapter to a VM do you check the "Share SCSI bus for clustering" option?
                      YES I would imagine so! Clustering requires shared storage. In VMware, you select the method of SCSI bus sharing (physical or virtual). For cluster in a box you choose virtual, for cluster across boxes (not supported any longer) you would choose physical.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche
                        In Device Manager, you have to select View, Show Hidden Devices. Then drill down into Non-Plug and Play Drivers. See screenshots 1, 2, and 3.
                        I done this but they did not appear. For some reason I needed to scan for hardware changes before they appeared. A reboot would have probably sorted it out but I'm too impatient

Michael
                        Michael Armstrong
                        www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

For the record, I'm definitely wrong on this. Win 2k3 supports up to 2 nodes with SCSI and that only on the 32-bit version of Enterprise Edition.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

For the record, I'm definitely wrong on this. Win 2k3 supports up to 2 nodes with SCSI and that only on the 32-bit version of Enterprise Edition.
                            Correct, however don't forget that Windows Server 2003 Data Center edition also supports clustering. Clustering is not limited to only Win2k3 Enterprise Edition.

In addition, Win2k3 only supports 2 node clusters on FCAL (fiber channel arbitrated loop which is basically a primative Token-Ring SAN).

If you want more than 2 cluster nodes in Win2k3, up to 8 nodes, you need fiber channel switched fabric.

Comment

Jason,

When you have the Quorum disk configured on, lets say server01 and server02 and clustering configured is the disk unaccessable form the server02??

I can access the disk from server01 fine but not from server02 but the cluster is working fine i.e. both nodes are there.

I take it server01 control the Quorum until it fails and then passes the responsibility onto the failover node?

The only reason is because the "Virtual Server shared folder" service has just started to fail

Michael
                              Michael Armstrong
                              www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X