MMC & taskpad error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMC & taskpad error

After creating a custom Taskpad (filename.msc) and placing it on the user's desktop, when she launches it, she receives the following error:

"MMC cannot open the file <filename>. This may be vecause the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file."

After "Googling" this error, I've tried a couple of simple things, but she still has the error, as do I. Any thoughts?

Re: MMC &amp; taskpad error

Things I'd check:

- compare the MMC versions on the computer you created the custom MMC on and the computer of the user
    - check event logs and look for COM errors/warnings

btw, what snap-in have you customized ? some of them have requirements: i.e.: Exchange System Manager MMC requires IIS installed.
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Well, sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees . . . the MMC versions WERE different - mine was 2.0, the server where the MMC was build was 3.0. So I downloaded and installed version 3.0 of the MMC and now received this mssage:
      "MMC could not create the snap-in" I Google this and found the following on the MS website;
      "# Incompatible snap-ins: If you get "MMC cannot initialize the Snap-in" when trying to add a managed code snap-in to the console, it may be because there is another loaded snap-in that depends on .NET Framework 1.1 (such as the .NET Framework 1.1 Configuration snap-in). Snap-ins using different versions of .NET Framework cannot exist within the same MMC console. If you receive this error, ensure that any snap-ins that use different versions of .NET Framework are in separate MMC consoles.

# Conflicts with previous installations: If you get "MMC cannot initialize the Snap-in" when trying to add a managed code snap-in to the console, you may have a version conflict with a previous MMC installation. You must delete all version keys under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D5AB5662-131D-453D-88C8-9BBA87502ADE}\InprocServer32 except for 3.0.0.0.

I can't decipher the first, but the second one checks out . . . As far as the previous question, this MMC is to allow a user to add\change\delete\move contacts in a particular OU, which I have made her a delegate of.

Comment

Why don't you just install the adminpak on your computer and create the custom snap-in using MMC 2.0 ?
        If you are interested in Exchange tabs, you can find the instructions for installing the Exchange admin tools on XP over here: http://www.petri.com/administer_exch..._2000_2003.htm
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

OK - That's just what I did . . . and it works! . . . except that it's missing one of the components. If I open up this MSC on my PC, I have 4 tasks, on hers - there are only 3, The tasks are Create Contact, Move, Properties and Create Group, she's missing the Contact function - could this have to do with rights?

Comment

OK - That's just what I did . . . and it works! . . . except that it's missing one of the components. If I open up this MSC on my PC, I have 4 tasks, on hers - there are only 3, The tasks are Create Contact, Move, Properties and Create Group, she's missing the Contact function - could this have to do with rights?

Comment

Working...
            X