No announcement yet.

How to change S/N Win 2003 Ent Server?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change S/N Win 2003 Ent Server?

i have his problem; a month ago a collegue rebuild a IBM server with the IBM startup CD (for SCSi interfaces etc.) and after with a Microsoft Win 2003 Server Enterprise (a copy probably by MSDN). We have buy the correct license (open license) for W2003 Ent but the codes from MS are different and it's impossible to activate the installed copy.
    MS says that the actual version is a retail and it's necessary to reinstall the correct CD to bypass the time bomb (remains 4 days).
    Winver say that the installed version is windows server enterprise 2003 edition ver. 5.2 SP1 bild 3790 srv03_SP1_RTM050324-1447.
    Is it possible to change the serial without reinstall all the system?
    This server is working with a lot of users..
    We have the original license, not a cracked!
    If you have any suggest...
    Thanks in advance

Re: How to change S/N Win 2003 Ent Server?

Boot from the cd for the vlk version and run the repair. I've done this a few times for similar reasons in the past. The server will be offline while you run the repair but it will fix the problem.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

i know very well it will fine enough in xp for windows 2k3 tyy it out

or just try the tool called key finder

manual method (dont use tool if your using the manual method )

Use the Activation Wizard
      Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

If you have only a few volume licensing product keys to change, you can use the Activation Wizard.

Note Microsoft recommends that you run System Restore to create a new restore point before you follow these steps. For information about how to create a restore point by using System Restore, see the "To Create a Restore Point" help topic in Help and Support.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
      2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
      3. In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry key:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrent Version\WPAEvents
      4. In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify.
      5. Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows.
      6. Click Start, and then click Run.
      7. In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK.
      %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
      8. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next.
      9. Click Change Product key.
      10. Type the new product key in the New key boxes, and then click Update.

If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later, and then restart the computer.
      11. Repeat steps 6 and 7 to verify that Windows is activated. You receive the following message:
      Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit.
      12. Click OK.
      13. Install SP1 for Windows XP.

If you cannot restart Windows after you install SP1, press F8 when you restart the computer, select Last Known Good Configuration, and then repeat this procedure.

Strufald, ignore the above winxandlinx post. It is obviously for Windows XP. You could use Magic Jellybean to check and see what product key you are running and this will determine if it is running off the IBM rebuild or your MSDN version. I am pretty sure you will NOT be able to change the key using Magic Jellybean since you appear to have 2 different install types. I would try Andrew's suggestion. All settings should be kept but you will need to reinstall any Updates and Hotfixes.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015

Hi all
          I am new here but everyone was once nebvie.

All those ansvers are greath for XP and 2003, but i have WIN 2000. And it seams that i canot do it so simply as you describlie. Anyone has experience in S/N change on 2K ?

I need 2 do that in my work - I had instaled wrong distribution onto my machine (w 2k but with wrong CDkey) Of course it was mistake and when i found this i would like to change the S/N widout long reinstalation.

thx for answers

Firstly you should have started a new thread fot your problem.

Are the Win2K version both the same? Are they both OEM or retail versions or is one a retail and one a VLK?

Have you tried Jellybean to see if it will read the numbers and allow you to change them? According to Google it works on Windows 2000.

Lastly, the answer is actually 42!!
            Departed: 23rd December 2015