Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to stop creating profiles in win xp & 2000?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to stop creating profiles in win xp & 2000?

Hello there,

Am runing win2000 server and I have around 300 usres. I have also more than 400 PC's. The users can use any of these PC's. After some time I relized that the C drive geyying full from the profiles. Is there any way to stop creating profiles on the client's PC's.

Note: I dont want to create a rooming profile.

Thank you very much

Re: How to stop creating profiles in win xp & 2000?

Not as far as i know. You could create a GP and set it to delete profiles on exit.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I think it is not possible ... and by design of OS. I had the same problem in my prev. company, a lot of users (usually agents in the call centre) and a lot of user profiles which slowed down computers and left garbage on the computers. So i wrote a batch and used delprof util and run script on the domain every week and it deleted all inactive profiles and old profiles from scanned computers ...

Comment

i work in a school and i get the same problem,

one option if you dont mind spending a bit of money

we've just started using a program called deep freeze.
        basically it freezes the computer in its current state, so any changes made are cleared when the computer is restarted.

for some of the courses that the students are doing they need to be able to play about with some of the computer's settings, ie change display settings, install software, etc.

by using deep freeze we can give the students that bit of extra access and not have to worry about the computers getting messed up.

you can set a maintence schedule, ie unfreeze the computers in the middle of the night and run wsus, or a batch file.

alternatives to deep freeze are HDguard and i think there was one called pc cure.

Comment

Originally posted by ind13
          i work in a school and i get the same problem,

one option if you dont mind spending a bit of money

we've just started using a program called deep freeze.
          basically it freezes the computer in its current state, so any changes made are cleared when the computer is restarted.

for some of the courses that the students are doing they need to be able to play about with some of the computer's settings, ie change display settings, install software, etc.

by using deep freeze we can give the students that bit of extra access and not have to worry about the computers getting messed up.

you can set a maintence schedule, ie unfreeze the computers in the middle of the night and run wsus, or a batch file.

alternatives to deep freeze are HDguard and i think there was one called pc cure.
          If it was me and it was between setting a batch file to delete unwanted profiles each night and buying some software i know which one i would go for! Sounds like overkill for what this guy is after.
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X