Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make a Shortcut visible in Folder view, Hard link

Rephrase:
    Is there a way to link a folder from one harddrive in to a share on another harddrive? I do not wish to use a shortcut since that is a file, I need this folder to be visible in Folder view. In linux you would use a symbolic link, ln -s, to create this.

The old question: I have two RAID5 sets on my server. I've a folder from a share on the first set to a folder on the second set. Can I somehow link it in to the original folder, so that it appears to still be in the same shared folder? If I make a shortcut it won't display in the folder tree and I'd preferr it if I didn't have to use a shortcut since the icon changes as well.

So, this is what I did. I moved the folder \\SERVER\C$\Share\Data to \\SERVER\E$\Data but I would still like the folder to show up on \\SERVER\C$\Share\Data since all my users have that share mapped.

Do I make any sense?
    Last edited by Anders; 19th June 2006, 06:46.
    A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Re: Make a Shortcut visible in Folder view, Hard link

You can do this but you'll need to install Distributed File System (DFS) if it isn't already then establish a dfs root and create links to the shares.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

what about mounting the partition into an empty shared from the other drive?
      Regards,
      Csaba Papp
      MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
      Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Originally posted by netxt
        what about mounting the partition into an empty shared from the other drive?
        This is another option but will make the entire volume (partition) accessible through the new folder on the other drive. DFS will allow to share individual shares to different folders.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I had a look at DFS and it seems to have the solution for my problem, thanks a bunch!

Question 1: Does DFS in any way format or empty target folders? Does DFS mess with the filesystem on the server? Does it actually change from NTFS to DFS or is DFS actually just a protocol for how the server handles the folder connections between different filestorages on the network and a way for our beloved MS to confuse me? =)
          Answer: Nope. It's a service that is installed by default, just open the tool and configure the target links and they will show up in the root folder.

Question 2: After installing DFS, which seems more like a feature of the server then an actual filesystem, do I have to restart the server?
          Answer: Nope.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!
          Last edited by Anders; 21st June 2006, 06:32.

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Anders
            I had a look at DFS and it seems to have the solution for my problem, thanks a bunch!

Question 1: Does DFS in any way format or empty target folders? Does DFS mess with the filesystem on the server? Does it actually change from NTFS to DFS or is DFS actually just a protocol for how the server handles the folder connections between different filestorages on the network and a way for our beloved MS to confuse me? =)
            Answer: Nope. It's a service that is installed by default, just open the tool and configure the target links and they will show up in the root folder.

Question 2: After installing DFS, which seems more like a feature of the server then an actual filesystem, do I have to restart the server?
            Answer: Nope.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!
            Np tis always my pleasure.
            Andrew

Comment

A little tip for anyone else curious about DFS:
              I noticed that a folder with the same name as the share i had linked in to the DFS root showed up, and when I tried to access it I got the error message:

The network location cannot be reached.

It was explained on TechNet as follows:

When you add links to the root, DFS creates special folders under each root folder. These folders, called link folders, are actually reparse points, and they display the following error message if you try to access them on the local server:

E:\Public\GroupData is not accessible. The network location cannot be reached.

Users who access the link folders from across the network are redirected to the appropriate link target.

Comment

Originally posted by Anders
                A little tip for anyone else curious about DFS:
                I noticed that a folder with the same name as the share i had linked in to the DFS root showed up, and when I tried to access it I got the error message:

The network location cannot be reached.

It was explained on TechNet as follows:

When you add links to the root, DFS creates special folders under each root folder. These folders, called link folders, are actually reparse points, and they display the following error message if you try to access them on the local server:

E:\Public\GroupData is not accessible. The network location cannot be reached.

Users who access the link folders from across the network are redirected to the appropriate link target.
                Anders, thanks for the tip.
                Andrew

Comment

Working...
                X