Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer while on VPN

Hello all,
    I'm relatively new to the whole Windows Server scene, and networking too. I have an issue with printing while accessing a network via VPN. I have a wierd configuration at this office (which I didn't set up) where each employee has one DSL connection for their laptops and one T1 line for their desktops. The T1 line is directly connected to the network, which is physically located somewhere else. We connect to this network with the DSL line with a VPN client. Our problem is that we can print fine with the T1 network, but the printer doesn't work while using VPN with DSL. I thought that when you used VPN, you were virtually on that network. Why is it that I can't print with the VPN connection? If I'm not clear, please ask. I really want to learn why this doesn't work.
    Thanks.

Re: Printer while on VPN

Originally posted by jcrapps
    Our problem is that we can print fine with the T1 network, but the printer doesn't work while using VPN with DSL. I thought that when you used VPN, you were virtually on that network. Why is it that I can't print with the VPN connection? If I'm not clear, please ask. I really want to learn why this doesn't work.
    Thanks.
    That's the basic gist of it with VPNs - you establish a tunnel through the internet to a VPN endpoint on the opposite end (in the data center). The tunnel basically puts you on the network as an extension of the data center production network.

Define "printer doesn't work"

What is the name of the server that the printer is hosted on? Can you ping the print server? Can you ping the printer?

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
    X