No announcement yet.

Unable to telnet from Windows 2000 server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to telnet from Windows 2000 server

I have a Windows 2000 server from where I cannot telnet to port 25 or 110 (Exchange server or SMTP lets say server1) after some days. At the same time, I can telnet server1 (on port 110 / 25) from other machines. This is a database machine and runs SQL Server 2000. Other than that there are no other s/w running.

I can reboot the machine to resolve the issue. I have done the following checks:
    1. Proc & Mem usage are acceptable.
    2. No errors or warnings logged in Event Viewer.
    3. Ran a NAV scan as well as online scan from Trend Micro and nothing was detected.

After a reboot it works fine for some days and again the issue surfaces. I tried to find any patterns and there are none.

Has anyone seen this? Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Re: Unable to telnet from Windows 2000 server

Does the problem have other sympotmes like loosing all network connectivity ?
    it could be a driver problem or maybe even network adapter problem.

try changing everything in your connectivity chain (switch port, wall port, cables, adapter, driver) and see if the problem persists.
    Yaniv Feldman
    Microsoft Security Regional Director
    Microsoft Management Expert

Re: Unable to telnet from Windows 2000 server

Hi Yaniv,

Thanks for your reply.

I connect to these servers remotely. And I cannot only use telnet. Else everything works fine on this system.

Do you still think this could be a network adapter issue? My apologies to re confirm this. The servers are hosted at a Datacenter, so I need to take assistance from folks there.

Please let me know and I will surely get a network engineer to check this.