How to connect a new workstation to a 2000 server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to connect a new workstation to a 2000 server

Just added a new computer to the network. I can connect to internet , but unable to share files and see printers on 2000 server. Windows firewall has been disabled. What needs to be done to get workstation to see and share files and programs with server.

Re: How to connect a new workstation to a 2000 server

Hello ,

Do you have network structured as a workgroup or do you have a domain on w2k?

If you have a workgroup you need to define a username in local user and groups on the windows 2000 server then grant permissions for files/folders and printers.
    Then on the workstationyou can try to access it using that user.

If you have a domain instead you need to bring that workstation as a member of domain. Then using a username created on the Active Directory database ( Active Directory Users and Computers) you can access shares/files and printers as long as you have the necessary permissions.

Regards,

Calin
    Regards,
    Calin Irimies

Comment

Have you actually added the machine to the domain??

Comment

No , not sure on how to add to domain.

Comment

Hi,

If you really have a domain structure (i mean an Active Directory infrastructure with Domain controllers win 2000/2003 server which contains the AD database)
          with users/computers and other objects then make sure to point the preffered DNS server IP to your DC/DNS server, because computers do need DNS to find domain controllers in Active Directory.
          I suppose that your computer has win 2000 or XP professional operating system.
          I am telling this because you can't make a computer with Win xp Home member of a domain. It does not have the capabilities for this.

Right Click My computer - Properties - Computer name tab - Change - choose make this computer member of the following domain xxxx.dom.
          You will be prompted for credentials (username/password) which have the right to make computers part of the domain. This means you'll have to be a Domain Admins or you must have delegated rights to create computer accounts in Active Directory. If do not have ask your network administrator to create one for your computer then you'll be able to bring it part of the domain.Every AD user can bring up to 10 machines part of a domain.
          Sorry for long posting, if you can't get it right i will try to make a screen shot for you.
          Regards,
          Calin
          Regards,
          Calin Irimies

Comment

Working...
          X