Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 2k CAL Issue

Hi there,

I have a server that is logging errors about being out of licence and to use 'Licence Manager' to find out which users are out of compliance. I have opened this program and can see that all available client access licences are being used. I have noticed that there are many old users taking up a CAL who no longer work here, if I were to 'revoke' these users, I assume by doing this it will free up the available number of cal's?

Any help appriciated.

Thanks

Re: Win 2k CAL Issue

Correct. The CALs will go back into the available pool of CALs.

Just as an FYI, we disable the license logging service on all our servers. It's more trouble than it's worth from a filling-up-the-event-log point of view. I have heard of many other people following this practice as well. Just be sure that you are tracking your licenses on paper to be sure you are in compliance.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Re: Win 2k CAL Issue

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply. I thought that was the case, I revoked a couple of old users yesterday which has stopped the logging for now. I'll go over the rest of them next week too. I agree with regards to the licence logging service, It's disabled on another group of servers as advised, and apparently in server 2003 it's disabled by default.

Thanks
      Last edited by UKG; 10th June 2006, 13:54.

Comment

Working...
      X