Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIS client not picking up DHCP

Hello all,

I have a little problem at the moment. Im building a RIS server on my dev bench fore testing. Im using window server 2003 which for test purposes is setup as my DC, DNS and DHCP, and i will be deploying XP.

I have manged to configure the server with the risetup and have the XP image all ready. THe server has been authorised through DHCP so it should be set to go. However, when i try and boot a client with PXE it fails to pickup a IP address from the DHCP server. However client machine are stil able to pickup addresses from the DHCP server when logging onto the domain. Im using a standard switch which i have taken out of the loop by using a crossover cable stright from server to client. Still no joy.

CAn anyone help?

Re: RIS client not picking up DHCP

this is probably due to the bios setting for the onboard nic. in dell bios for example you have 3 options for the integrated nic. on,off and on with pxe. if your dhcp server is definately servicing clients already thats the only thing i can think of. what client machines are you using?

Comment

compaq deskpro exd, they are PXE compliant as i can F12 but get no response.

Comment

Is your RIS server multi-homed? If so, disable all but one NIC. The link has some good RIS info.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No its just has the one card and one IP address.

Apart from the authorising the RIS server in DHCP do i need to configure anything else? i hope im not missing something very simple.

Comment

Sorry guys i have found the answer. Stupidly i set it up not to respond to unknown machines. Silly me.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Thanks for letting us know you got it all working.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I have a question about answer files shall i post here or in a new thread?

I would just like to know how you associate an answer file with RIS builds. Im getting a little confused between RIS and, unattended installs and sysprep.

Thanks

Matt

Comment

New Topic and give it a descriptive name. Something like Confused between RIS and, unattended installs and sysprep
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X