No announcement yet.

W2K3S Does Scandisk start automatically after unexpected system shutdown?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2K3S Does Scandisk start automatically after unexpected system shutdown?

Guys, I've been losing sleep over W2K3 server did an "unexpected shutdown" and I had to hard reset it.

Just wondering, does scandisk (with auto-repair mode) automatically start on the bootup after an unexpected shutdown in W2K3S?

I've got this extreme compulsion to scandisk and repair, but then I need to reboot the 24hr mission critical machine (and need to call up many users to tell them to stop what they're doing, and thats a hassle).

But if I knew that scandisk did run during the reboot, then I'd sleep better

Thx guys.

Re: W2K3S Does Scandisk start automatically after unexpected system shutdown?

For openers, it's chkdsk, not scandisk. There is a difference. One exists in NT/2000/2003, the other doesn't.

MS KB article 160963 describes the behavior of autochk.exe
    Every time Windows restarts, Autochk.exe is called by the Kernel to scan all volumes to check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. CHKDSK /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. It is always advisable to run chkdsk on volumes that have been improperly shutdown, however, there may be some situations in which running chkdsk after every improper shutdown is not possible or practical. In some cases, chkdsk may take several hours or even days to completely check the volume or may hang while checking the volume. In these situations, it is more practical to postpone the chkdsk until a more convenient time.

There are a few ways to manually initiate a chkdsk at reboot.

One way is to manually invoke the flag yourself using the chkdsk /F /R command in a command prompt.

Another way is to run chkdsk from the Recovery Console.

A third method would be to change the the registry value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager
    Change the BootExecute entry from:
    autocheck autochk *
    autocheck autochk * /r\DosDevice\C:
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.