The wonderful world of Servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wonderful world of Servers

I'v got a bunch of questions, but Ill keep it short. I dont own a buisness... but I have one server at my home. It's running Windows server 2003, and the couple home computers here are connected to it. They have joined its domain and I'v got all that working. Thats basically all I know how to do with it so far. How would I have the whole user accounts... that a user logs into the domain with be saved on the server HD and not the computer? So space isnt taken up on the computer, everything done is saved to the server?
    Aye, Happy Holidays!!

Re: The wonderful world of Servers

Do you mean like just their my documents and the like, or EVERYTHING, which would mean a roaming profile. Do you want them to run applications from the local PC or the server?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Applications, desktop, all files... everything. How would I make a roaming profile?
      Aye, Happy Holidays!!

Comment

Note that roaming profiles won't save space on the local HD. When you log on it copies the profile to the local computer from the server. Changes are copied back to the server at log off. Any subsequent log ons are updated with the latest version from the server.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thats what I want to do. I tried going to the Advanced tab after right clicking on My Computer, and then going to the Users control panel window. I tried to change the account I want to a roaming profile but the Roaming bubble is greyed out. Does this have to do with the fact that I have Xp media centeR? its basicaly Xp pro... with some extra stuff.
          Aye, Happy Holidays!!

Comment

Here, check out this link (you do this from the server)
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I did that but it doesnt seem to work. I saved some stuff to the desktop from another comp thats in the domain and logged into the user that has the profile target changed. The files werent sent to the server after I logged off...
              Aye, Happy Holidays!!

Comment

Check the event log for errors related to roaming profiles

http://www.chicagotech.net/winissues...ngprofile0.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...anage_faq.mspx
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I got it working, thanks... But It still is saving the files on the computer not just the server. Its doing both now... how can I do JUST server?
                  Aye, Happy Holidays!!

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
                    Note that roaming profiles won't save space on the local HD.
                    I think you want to use Folder Redirection, not roaming profiles.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by Qman46
                      Does this have to do with the fact that I have Xp media centeR? its basicaly Xp pro... with some extra stuff.
                      I thought MCE couldn't be added to a domain?
                      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I found a way to... anyway now I'v got a bigger problem. When I have my server plugged into the rack downstairs... the whole house's internet stops working. Im really confused now. It was working fine, all I did was make a user account and make it roaming and now the internet wont work if the server is on. Whats going on?
                        Aye, Happy Holidays!!

Comment

Never mind its not the server, it seems to be the apple wireless router I have.... I dont know why it suddenly started doing this though
                          Aye, Happy Holidays!!

Comment

Isnt this still Putting the files on the computers HD first then once i logoff, sending them to the server? Is there a way to not have it on the computer at all?
                            Aye, Happy Holidays!!

Comment

Originally posted by Qman46
                              Isnt this still Putting the files on the computers HD first then once i logoff, sending them to the server? Is there a way to not have it on the computer at all?
                              What are you referring to? Roaming profiles or folder redirection?

Roaming profiles: a local copy of the profile is always on the HD and is just updated with changes whenever you log on

Folder redirection: not stored on the local computer if offline files is turned off.
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X