No announcement yet.

Change C Partition Size - Please help!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change C Partition Size - Please help!

I have 3 x 72.8 gig scsi drives on a w2003 server. Whatever way it was setup the C drive is 15 gig and almost out of space. The only other drive is my D drive and it's 121 Gig with lots of free space.

Most of the apps are installed on the C drive and with all patches service packs I only have 1 gig free. I don't want to remove ISA Server, Norton etc and reinstall them on the other partition.

I have done the obvious and checked temp files and removed anything not required from the C drive.

My question is what's the easiest way to resize ? Server magic or some 3rd part utility ? Or would It be easier to add a new disk ?

Re: Change C Partition Size - Please help!

well big bear you're going to struggle!

Like you suggest the easiest way is probably to use a third party utility like server magic. It really depends on how the logical drives are configured. You could try and convert your c and d drives to dynamic disks, then try to steal some of the space from c: to d:

If you add another disk you still wont be able to allocate that space to c: unless its dynamic.

Backup and rebuild might be your best option!

What is the drive configuration setup? 3 x 72GB with 15GB on C: with 1GB free and 121GB D: drive doesn't really tell us much.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015

Well it's a raid 5 setup with 3 psyscial disks each 72.8 gig. Only partitions created are c 15 gig and E 121 gig. Would I be right in assuming the rest of the space is for parity ?

One other question . Id i use acronis Disk Director for example would they affect my Hardware raid 5.

Many thanks!

In a RAID 5 config you will lose 1 disks worth of space for parity.

To increase your c: you will need to use something like Server Magic.

Please remember and backup your entire system first.