Disaster Recovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disaster Recovery

Can two identical fully licenced Windows 2000 servers both running the same DHCP, DNS and WINS configuration co-exist under Active Directory ready for disaster recovery failover and can they be configured to just automatically handover rather than transferring roles etc or will I need to consider using software such as CA BrightStor High Availability or moving to a Hardware Cluster Enviroment.

We have a customer who wants seemless failover without spending any money and I need to quote/justify the solution.

He is not happy with our solution which involves FMSO role transfer and 'enablement' of DHCP, DNS, WINS configurations with minimal downtime (especially during non office hours). Data is not an issue as this is held in another location.

Does multi-master replication help or will it not do the full job ??

Re: Disaster Recovery

DNS - AD Integrated DNS zone has the fault tolerance (every copy of the DNS info can be modified)

DHCP - you should employ the "80/20" (or whatever split you're comfortable with) and have two DHCP servers running at the same time

WINS - wait for someone else to post. Not my strong side since I've never had to use it

FSMO - again, someone more knowledgeable can speak to this but my initial thoughts are that you can't have FSMO fault tolerance without some sort of clustering solution.
    Last edited by JeremyW; 6th June 2006, 18:19.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

WINS Setting up replication with push/pull technology. AFAIK the only option.
      FSMO AFAIK only manual transferable or seize.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

As mentioned previously

DNS Should be AD integratred.
        DHCP should be setup via the 80/20 split.

My input

Both servers should be setup as GC's.
        Operations shouldn't be affected to any great extent by seizing the FSMO roles from the other server. More info.
        You could also setup DFS for the users documents, profiles, etc.

What do you plan for exchange?? or is this on another server?

There is another product that i have heard of but never used called NeverFail, it may be worth having a look at that.

Comment

I took part in a webinar with NeverFail yesterday as it happens. Great product, but again like CA Brightstor High Availability offers no support for domain controllers. He has separate Exchange and SQL servers as well as data which could be protected by the software mentioned.

Just waiting for a huge quote for a cluster controller, but I think my client is going to have to accept his budget will not stretch and that the FSMO roles need to be transferred manually in a failover situation which I know is a quick job, but given they are a 24/7 operation. I don't think they want a phone all at 3am when there is a problem.

I have mapped out my plans for DNS, DHCP, WINS across AD already. As well as moving data to other servers.

Comment

Realistically you can function fine without a FSMO online for a little bit. The users won't notice unless they make changes to their passwords when the PDC emulator is down. The Operation Masters are there mainly to support administrative tasks i.e. adding/deleting/moving/modifying objects, changing the schema, adding/removing domains etc.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Users should still be able to use the network even if the DC with the FSMO roles has failed, as long as both DC's are GC's.
              The roles would obviously have to be seized at some point, but I think the only one that could impact quickly is having no PDC Emulator. But I believe everything could still function without that for a day

So it shouldnt have to be a case of a 3am phone call, they should just be able to keep working and seize the roles in the morning

EDIT: whoops JeremyW's reply wasnt there when I started typing!

Comment

Fantastic, just the replies I was after.

Thanks for your input

Comment

Just another bit of input but first I believe that the other suggestions of a second DC with WINS replication and DHCP x/y split are the way to go.
                  There is a product called DoubleTake which produces the backup scenario you are after - but it's not cheap. Finally if you buy Win2003 Server SA (Software Assurance) I am almost positive that gives you "cold server rights" - ie you keep a duplicate copy server off-line on standby. One of the main problems with this situation is how to keep it up to date and really ready on standby. Something which leads to high maintenance in the long run.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Disaster Recovery

Question concerning System Restore and Windows Server 2003. Does Windows Server 2003, have the System Restore option for disaster recovery? The operating system does not show the System Restore option within the Accessories menu. Can someone help?

Comment

Originally posted by dford64 View Post
                      Question concerning System Restore and Windows Server 2003. Does Windows Server 2003, have the System Restore option for disaster recovery? The operating system does not show the System Restore option within the Accessories menu. Can someone help?
                      No it doesn't.

Not that i'm aware of anyway.

Waits for the torrent of abuse.........

Comment

Originally posted by dford64 View Post
                        No. You seek ASR instead. ASR is the next generation of server recovery that is a hybrid of the old Emergency Repair Disk of older Windows systems and System Recovery of XP. It involves a tape backup, Windows CDROM, and a floppy disk with two crucial files on it to restore your server from bare metal.
                        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
                          No. You seek ASR instead. ASR is the next generation of server recovery that is a hybrid of the old Emergency Repair Disk of older Windows systems and System Recovery of XP. It involves a tape backup, Windows CDROM, and a floppy disk with two crucial files on it to restore your server from bare metal.

Thanks very much!

Comment

Working...
                          X