Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing Domain Controller?

Hi all,

Because I got a new server for our company, I first want to do some tests with it. (the old will be used as a test or backup server later)
    I'm going to replace our old Windows 2000 server with a new 2003 server. The old server is DC, takes care of DNS and DHCP. It is also a file server and exchange server.
    It is the only DC in the domain.

What I want to do is installing the new server as (P)DC (and maybe keep the old as BDC, if it is possible) Because I don't have any experience in installing or migrating DC I need some help. What do I have to do?
    Should I first install the new server as DC and then migrate Active Directory and stuff(and how can I do that)? But how do I make the new server take over the (DC-)tasks of the old server?
    Is it better to install the new server as BDC first and then take the PDC out of the network to replace it with the new BDC? Or is that a waste of time?

I found so many things on the internet, but all a little bit different, that I don't see the forest through the trees anymore

I also want to install exchange 2003 on the new server, is this a good idea or should I leave exchange 2000 ?

Re: replacing Domain Controller?

There are no BDC's in 2000 or 2003 - they're all just DC's

What I'd do is install DNS and AD on the new server and make it an additional DC and DNS server for your domain.
    Then transfer the FSMO roles over to the new server, which is straightforward if the original one is still online.

Then, you should be ok to take the old one offline

You'd have to setup DHCP on the new server as well of course

I would recommend you keep the original server as a DC though, its running a bit of a risk only having one DC and DNS server IMO

Comment

Originally posted by ghughes87

What I'd do is install DNS and AD on the new server and make it an additional DC and DNS server for your domain.
      Then transfer the FSMO roles over to the new server, which is straightforward if the original one is still online.

I would recommend you keep the original server as a DC though, its running a bit of a risk only having one DC and DNS server IMO

Hi dude,

He is right ,
      Do what is mentiond here? I did it on my work, It was a good experience,

Comment

Originally posted by jihadsoft
        Originally posted by ghughes87

Hi dude,

He is right ,
        Do what is mentiond here? I did it on my work, It was a good experience,

I'm trying it out right now, and it all seems to work. DC, DNS and DHCP are working. I'm going to do some tests later this week, but now I don't have the time. I'll let you know if I encounter any problems. Thanks for helping me, it really is a good experience!

Comment

Please remember to run /adprep

See this doc for more info

http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_adprep.htm

Comment

I would have thought you may need a bit more planning on this issue. What about printers and share names? You don't say how many workstations you have but if it is 100, you may not want to go around changing all the shares/drive mappings or printer configurations on all of them. Consider DFS to make it easier.
            You also mention it's an Exchange server so you may have a problem moving all the mailboxes over also (actually, the mailboxes are no problem but the public folders and system folders have to be re-homed before you remove the first server).
            Alternatively, you may want to look at http://www.sbsmigration.com which is also relevant even though you don't have SBS (though if you have less than 75 users - you should have ;>)
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X