Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multi user per pc

greetings!

pls help in setting the right configuration on this. we have a computer lab with about 50 pcs with windows 2000 and office 2000. they are stand alone pcs. each grade level of users uses different kind of office application. ex. grade 7 are taught word grade 7 excel.

i just want to allow these application to be accessed only by the appropriate users. and how can i copy these configurations to the other pcs. thanks

Active Directory Group Policy to publish applications to the correct groups.
    Will try to post more detailed response later if noone else does.

You are running a Windows 2000 / 2003 domain?

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

nope... its a stand alone set up no network

Comment

Actually I think the best solution is to have Active Directory with group policy including software distrubtion based on user basis.

Second if you have a little group of users on each configuration, dual install on each computer, so that each group will load the similar operating system eviroment.
        Best regards,
        Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i think buying lan cards and cables and a new server out of our budget. any other suggestions.

Comment

You dont need a network for this solution

1.To each computer add users
            7-Grader
            8-Grader
            non addministrative accounts of course

2.Customize their desktops only with apps they should access
            3. Set NTFS permissions that they cant harm any other directories

Try it
            на клеточном уровне я очень занят

Comment

Then best solution is to use them as a workgroup, and configure each profile locally. Certain policies should be applied, like users cannot change password for example!!
              Best regards,
              Mostafa Itani

Comment

2 sanvour
                he wrote:

Originally posted by koroknoy
                i think buying lan cards and cables and a new server out of our budget. any other suggestions.
                so i made a economy sugestion

Comment

thanks dba!

i guess i have to other option but to configure each pc. please guide me on this like:

what should be the rights of the users? power powers, users, etc?
                  who should install ms office?
                  can i copy the settings on the first pc to the others?

Comment

Originally posted by koroknoy
                    thanks dba!

i guess i have to other option but to configure each pc. please guide me on this like:

what should be the rights of the users? power powers, users, etc?
                    who should install ms office?
                    can i copy the settings on the first pc to the others?
                    No need to copy settings , it will be faster just to create them

on each computer:
                    1.install MsOffice (as addministrator) , all programs you will use later on
                    2. Create users as users and members of group "students" or something
                    3. login as new created users for first time , place on the desktop shortcuts for programs they will be using (for each user)
                    and remove ones they wont be needing

In case you have to restrict access to rest of the computer

4. if you runing W2K on NTFS partitions you will be able to restrict access of these users to other directories by using group policy , allowing them to use local "My documents" folder for each user to save their work.

If you using FAT partition , i recomend using third party programs as
                    Poledit Etc to restrict access

Comment

thanks!

on the step 3, yes i can create shortcuts but i cant remove. access denied maybe because the office was created by the administrator

am i missing something

Comment

to remove unnecessery shortcuts:
                        login as addministrator and go to
                        %System Root%\Documents and Settings\%username%\desktop

%System Root% - the main disk you have OS installed IE (c: or d: )
                        %username% - name for the user you want to edit desktop icons

Comment

i had created 5 users, grade 5 to grade 10 as an administrator. but i can see the names if i go to c:\documenst and settings. i can only see administrator and all users.

if i go to all users, i see desktop, documents, favorites, start menu.

Comment

can't see the names..

i had created 5 users, grade 5 to grade 10 as an administrator. but i can't see the names if i go to c:\documenst and settings. i can only see administrator and all users.

if i go to all users, i see desktop, documents, favorites, start menu.

Comment

you're looking to the profiles...

when you logon as userx, the users profile will be created in c:\document and settings..
                              Marcel
                              Technical Consultant
                              Netherlands
                              http://www.phetios.com
                              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                              X