Change Domain IP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Domain IP

Hello I am new here and have found this site to be very useful!

I had a quick question about making some changes to the only domain controller on my network.

It's running Windows Server 2003. The IP scheme of the network is 172.16.1.X with subnet mask of 255.255.255.192

I wanted to know if I could easily change the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 because I need to share a printer with a different network that has the 255.255.255.0 mask and would rather not install another router(s). Can I just change the subnet mask in the TCP/IP settings and do the same to all client computers or is there something else I need to do in order to insure a seemless transition. I'm pretty sure I'll need to make some changes to the DNS server (which is the same as the AD domain controller)

I'm a newby to this kind of stuff and would greatly appreciate any and all advice I can get.

Thanks!

Re: Change Domain IP

You're trying to get the printer into the same subnet as the rest of your domain?

How is everything connected? Switches and/or hubs?

What is the network address of the "other network"? 172.16.1.0?

What is your network address? i.e. what is the first IP address in your network minus 1 (e.g. 172.16.1.1 -1 =172.16.1.0)

As far as DNS goes, you shouldn't need to change anything there as long as your IP addresses stay the same and you just change the subnet mask.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Oh wow I thought I would get notified if someone replied to my post. Sorry for the late reply.

I have 2 seperate networks that connect to the same 24-port switch in the computer room.

Network 1 = 192.168.1.0 subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 (Includes a router which shares the buildings' T1 connection)

Network 2 = 172.16.1.0 subnet mask: 255.255.255.192 (also has router to share T1 connection. This network has Active Directory running. It's a small network that probably doesn't need AD but I wanted to try it out and see what I can do with it. There's only 1 Windows 2003 server which is the AD Domain Controller and DNS server for network 2)

the T1 connection provides the building with 5 external IP's, 2 of which are being used now, 1 for each network.

Two tenants in the Building decided to share costs and Lease a Big minolta Copier/Scanner etc. to replace an old one that was only on network 2. Since they share costs, they both want access to the scanning/printing features of this machine. But since the networks are different, I'm not clear on how to setup the New MINOLTA Copier to be able to work with both networks.

I am attaching a small diagram that I made. Everything is correct excepts for the VLANS. they are no longer setup.

Comment

OK, if you changed the subnet mask it wouldn't enable you to print because it's still on a different network. Basically you need to setup a route on either the switch (if it has the capabilities) or the 172.16.1.1 that says "anything going to 192.168.0.x goes through x interface". There's a couple possible ways to do this but to find out which we'll need some more info:

-What is the model switch and can it route between VLANs?
        -Do the two routers act as firewall as well?
        -What are the models of routers?

PS - nice diagram
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

OK that's great news!

-The switch is a Dlink DGS-1224T. I'm not sure if it can Router between the VLANs

-The router for Network 2 is Linksys WRT54G.

-The router for Network 1 is a Netgear Wireless 54 G router that came with the Dell system they purchased. I dont know the exact model number off the top of my head but I'm sure its just the basic 54G 4-port model.

The routers have their Firewalls and NAT enabled but the workstations on Network 1 (192.168.1.0) also run Trend Micro PC-Cillin. Network 2 just runs the corporate version of Trend Micro Antivirus.

I'm glad that you understood the diagram. I was worried it would be too basic.

Comment

OK, checked out the switch and it's layer 2, so no routing there.
            Since NAT is involved we can't route by the private address.

Is there any services or resources provided to the public that are behind the firewall/router on the Network 1?

If not then you can simply configure that router on Network 1 to forward all the necessary traffic to the printer. I checked out the user guide to the Netgear and I couldn't find any instructions detailing the proceedure but it should be pretty straight forward. You'll want to specify that only traffic coming from Network 2 (use it's public IP) will be able to pass through the firewall. On the Netgear, look for a section call "Port forwarding" or "DMZ" or "applications and gaming" or something like that.

After that's done you can use the public IP of network 1 to print.
            Last edited by JeremyW; 20th June 2006, 12:20.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I'm not sure if I follow.

Do you mean put the IP of the Printer in the DMZ? but I thought that computers from 192.168.0.X could not recognize 172.16.1.X if the subnet masks were different.

As for the services on network 1. They use Logmein Pro and Windows Remote Desktop for Remote connections.

As for public IP, would that be the static IP assigned by the ISP?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by winos2mac
                Do you mean put the IP of the Printer in the DMZ?
                I found the correct documentation for the router (I was looking at just an AP before) and yes, you can put the printer IP in the DMZ. This router, however, does not give you the option to filter the traffic by incoming IP address. This means that the printer will be exposed to the Internet. I don't know if this is acceptable for you.

but I thought that computers from 192.168.0.X could not recognize 172.16.1.X if the subnet masks were different.
                The subnet mask tells a computer which IP addresses are on the local subnet and which IP addresses need to be routed to another network.
                Here's an article about routing

As for the services on network 1. They use Logmein Pro and Windows Remote Desktop for Remote connections.
                I'm not sure if this will create a conflict. I took a look at their website and it seems that it won't.

As for public IP, would that be the static IP assigned by the ISP?
                Yes.

If having the printer exposed to the Internet isn't acceptable, you'll need to look into getting a router to route between the networks or if you have a computer running 2000 or XP Pro with two NICs you could set it up as a router.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up. I think i would prefer to purchase a simple router to route between the networks. Would a standard homer router like the Linksys WRT54G work for this purpose? and would I just need to get 1 or 2?

I'm unclear as to where exactly the router(s) would fit in the diagram I have. Could I set the IP of the printer to something completely different from both networks and then route both networks to the printer using 2 routers as opposed to just having one route? I'm asking this because I want to make sure that both networks can access the printer and only the printer. I don't want any workstations to have access to files on the other network.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Comment

The perimeter network would probably be the best solution. You'd put the new router in-between the "T-1 box" and the 5 port switch and then plug the printer into the switch as well.

The default setup for those home routers usually is to have NAT enabled. If you were to buy a new router and put it in that would mean traffic to the Internet would be NATed twice instead of once and I'm not sure what that would do for the computers running Logmein.

Here's a hypothetical setup that disables NAT on routers one and two and has the new router doing the NAT:

Router 3 (new router):
                    WAN port = public IP
                    LAN port = 192.168.0.1/24 ("/24" is the netmask and is the same as saying "255.255.255.0")
                    NAT enabled
                    Static route 1 = dest. 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.2
                    Static route 2 = dest. 172.16.1.0 mask 255.255.255.192 gateway 192.168.0.3

Router 1:
                    WAN port = 192.168.0.2/24
                    LAN port = 192.168.1.1/24 (no change here)
                    NAT disabled

Router 2:
                    WAN port = 192.168.0.3/24
                    LAN port = 172.16.1.1/26 (no change)
                    NAT disabled

Printer:
                    NIC = 192.168.0.4

Hope this helps.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

and this setup would enable both networks to see the Printer but not have access to the internal networks correct?

I see now, It's making sense. Well I guess now all there is to do is try it out and see what happens.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it!!!

Comment

Let me know how it works out.

Cheers!
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

OK most things are working OK. I have the printer working on both networks. the only issue is that I have a few port forwarding issues with an internet back-up services that requires me to forward a port to a certain computer.

How can I do this now that I have 2 routers to go through?
                          thanks!

EDIT: Actually that internet back-up program had no problem with port-forwarding through 2 routers. I do, however, have an issue with Remote Desktop not working when I forward the ports from the main router to one of the network routers. Do I need to enable RIP or something? Is there another way of doing this?

What I did was install the netgear router with the Public IP and setup static routes to the other 2 networks, which are on Linksys routers. I changed the mode on the Linksys routers from "Gateway" to "Router." So now the only router running NAT is the netgear. It seems to be working OK except I can't get Remote Desktop to function on either network.

I also was concerned because now both networks share the same Public IP. I would've liked to give each network it's own public IP but I guess it's no big deal for now. but for future reference, if I wanted to give each network it's own Public IP all I need is another router to be plugged into the 5-port switch with a similar setup, right?

Thanks!
                          Last edited by winos2mac; 25th June 2006, 23:55.

Comment

Sorry for the delay, I was having account issues... well actually email issues.

What would be more ideal is to get some router/firewalls that have more functionality were you're able to create custom filters. These are more expensive though but had this been the case you could have met your requirement with less hardware and better control.

As for RDC, what are you trying to connect to, where are you trying to connect from? Do you have any port forwarding configured for it?
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                            X