Username too long?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Username too long?

I created a new user "TerminalServerReporter" but am unable to login with that username. I checked the AD Users & Computers setup:

Display Name: Terminal Server Reporter
    User Logon Name: TerminalServerReporter
    User Logon Name (pre-Windows 2000): TerminalServerReport

Subsequently, I found that if I use the name "TerminalServerReport", it logs in OK. So is there a 20-character limit to usernames?

Windows2003 Server SP1.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Username too long?

I think the 20 character limit applies only to the pre-Windows 2000 name. Group names can be 64 characters long. I wouldn't be surprised if 64 character user names are supported.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche
      I think the 20 character limit applies only to the pre-Windows 2000 name. Group names can be 64 characters long. I wouldn't be surprised if 64 character user names are supported.
      If this is the case, why can't I log into my 2003 server with a username > 20 characters?
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

A quick google search brought me to this reference:
        http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e6438ed32ed6ed

Why you can't log in I don't know.

I'll test in my lab for you tonight trying to replicate what you have done.

Jas
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

I looked at the Google link you gave me, but it the links went to an MS 2000 site but I don't know what to do thereafter.

I think my system might be in Pre-Windows 2000 compatability mode? If so, how would I get it out of that mode?
          Last edited by JDMils; 31st May 2006, 07:17.
          |
          +-- JDMils
          |
          |

Comment

Open Active Directory Users and Computers or Active Directory Domains and Trusts then right click the domain and select "Raise Domain Functional Level".
            You'll want do this only if you don't have any NT BDCs in your domain.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

A day late - I apologize.

In my lab I created a user with the following attributes:
              account name: 123456789012345678901234567890
              pre-windows 2000 name: 12345678901234567890 (only allows 20 characters in this field)

Domain and Forest is at 2003 functional level

Logging on characteristics:
              To log on with traditional domain logon where you provide the username, password, and domain in the pulldown box, I must only logon using the pre-windows 2000 name of 12345678901234567890 (the 20 character name). The 30 character name does not work here.

To log on with the full 30 character account name of 123456789012345678901234567890, I must perform a UPN logon ([email protected])

Summary: Pre-windows 2000 account names are capped at 20 characters. Account names are capped at 64 characters. In order to log on with the 64 character account name, you must perform a UPN logon.

There ya have it.

And now I must go shoot myself because my number of posts far exceeds my reputation which means I suck at helping people.
              Last edited by jasonboche; 1st June 2006, 03:27.

Comment

jasonboche,

That's gotta be the most helpful reply ever. When I tried the UPN login method, as soon as I typed the "@" symbol, the domain textbox greyed out. And the login worked!

Thanks
                |
                +-- JDMils
                |
                |

Comment

Working...
                X