Sudden shutdown during defrag of HDD.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden shutdown during defrag of HDD.

I have always wanted to know, what can happen if you have a power shortage in the middle of a defragmentation process on your HDD?
    For example if I am running Win98se, and I am defragging using the stock defrag utility, any partition, if in the middle my pc turns off for any reson, will I loose data on the partition?
    What if I am defragging on WinXP? Does the same thing ocur? Is there a defragging tool that takes into account such a case, so you can avoid the disaster of data being suddenly lost...?

Thank-you.
    If it working... don't touch it...!

In theory you should never lose data during a defrag because the data is written in the new location before being deleted from the old. In theory...

In practice, you should make regular backups of all your data and system settings just in case a hard shutdown damages the drive.

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Understood...

Tom,
      Is there a specific utility that is prefered to use when defraggin, rather than the stock utility of Windows?
      I have heard of Diskeeper and O&O Defragmenter...
      Any recommendations on those?

Thanks.
      If it working... don't touch it...!

Comment

Personally I use diskeeper but AFAIK O&O is as good. Anything is better than the built in utility (cut down diskeeper in 2K/XP/2K3)

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I use the bulid for windows and it is working fine.
          Best regards,
          Mostafa Itani

Comment

Working...
          X