No announcement yet.

MIIS hotfix installation error

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIIS hotfix installation error

I have a problem installing a hotfix for MIIS. I am already thinking the installation package is messed up.

Here's the link to the hotfix:
    Update for Microsoft Identity Integration Server 2003 SP1 (KB842531)

When I start the installer, it goes ok validating the package. After that, I get few errors about xxxx.TMP files.

Errors are of this form:
    Error 1328.Error applying patch to file C:\Config.Msi\[xxxx].tmp. It has probably been updated by other means, and can no longer be modified by this patch. For more information contact your patch vendor. System Error: -1072807676

There are options abort, retry and ignore in these error messages.

I have tried these things:
    • Press ignore in all error messages
    • Delete the xxxx.tmp files before trying to press retry or ignore
    • shutdown SQL before applying the patch

None of the things above have helped.

If trying to ignore all the error messages, installation goes through. You can check from MIIS about-screen that the version is correct (3.1.1042). But when I go to check miiserver.exe properties-> version -> file version says 3.1.1026.0 which is the previous version.

If SQL is shutdown before starting the installer, the installer won't start the validating the package.

Here's a similar problem as mine:
    Thread in microsoft.public.metadirectory

Q1: Could it be solved by extracting the MSI package and then trying to install?
    Q2: If extracting the package would help, with what tool can you do it (for free)? With Flexnet SMS edition you can't do the extracting atleast.
    Q3: Any other suggestions?
    Q4: Anyone else had similar problems?

Thanks for help in advance,

System Specs:
    -Win 2003 Enterprise
    -SQL2000 with SP4 installed
    -MIIS with SP1 installed
    Last edited by ileee; 22nd May 2006, 12:15.

Re: MIIS hotfix installation error

Did you review:

Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn:, Blog:

Re: MIIS hotfix installation error

yuval14, yes I did review it now. It didn't help me...

There were only the fixes listed and what you should know before trying to update:

When you apply this hotfix package, you are prompted for your MIIS 2003 installation media. Depending on how you originally installed MIIS 2003, insert the media in the See Comment or in the DVD drive, or specify a share location.

To apply this hotfix package, the currently logged-on user account must have the same SQL Server credentials as the account that was used to install the release version of MIIS 2003. Before you apply this hotfix package to your production environment, test this Service Pack in a Quality Assurance (QA) lab. Additionally, back up the MIIS 2003 SQL Server database and verify that you can fully recover your data from the backup version if this hotfix package does not apply correctly.
      ( from article kb842531 here)

I was logged on with the same account that was used to install MIIS and SQL. So this shouldn't be a credential problem.

If it helps, I'm running this on a Virtual Server 2005 R2. I don't have any identities imported to the MIIS, so I can't say what effects this patch would have when my errors came up.