Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to import Active Directory and Exchange 2000 on new Domain and Server

Hi,

Can anyone help me with moving Active Directory and Exchange 2000 from our old Windows 2000 Server environment to a completely new (domain and server) Windows 2000 Server environment.

We have just purchased a new server to replace the old one. We are staying with Windows 2000 Server as it has provided great service for us thus far.

We are using the same domain and server names for the new environment as we had for the old environmment.

The old and new environments are completely separated and cannot see eachother in any way, shape or form.

The new environment has been setup on the new server and everything is functioning as it should. A clean version of Active Directory is installed on the new server and I need to move the AD users, comuters, etc from the old environment to the new one. I also have to install exchange onto the new server and move the exchange 2000 store to it, but I was planning on waiting until I had finished the AD move first.

Details of setup are as follows:

Old Domain Server;

Domain Name: ORCA
    Name: S1DCServer
    O/S: Windows 2000 Server SP4
    Domain Controller
    Exchange 2000 SP2
    Active Directory

New Domain Server;

Domain Name: ORCA
    Name: S1DCServer
    Windows 2000 Server SP4
    Domain Controller
    Exchange 2000 SP2
    Active Directory

Any help would be much appreciated...
    Last edited by WANTD1; 21st May 2006, 23:54.

Re: How to import Active Directory and Exchange 2000 on new Domain and Server

You should seriously consider deploying Windows Server 2003. Windows 2000 support will be ending sooner than Win2k3 support. As it is, Win2k is only supported mainstream on Service Pack 4. If you do decide to go to Windows Server 2003, you'll first need to run forestprep and domainprep from the Windows Server 2003 to prepare your Windows 2000 Active Directory for the Windows 2003 version of Active Directory and all the new things it brings with it.

Remove Active Directory from your new server by running dcpromo.

Add your new server as a domain controller in the existing ORCA domain in the existing forest by running dcpromo on the new server. By the way, did you know your domain shares the same name as the sharking boat in the movie "Jaws"?

Transfer all FSMO and Global Catalog roles off the old server.

Verify replcation is working correctly 100% on all DCs by running replmon.exe (this is a Windows Server tool included in the tools directory on the Windows Server CD.

Install Exchange Server on the new server.

Transfer all mailboxes from the old Exchange server to the new Exchange server.

Verify Email and Exchange server is working properly.

Uninstall Exchange Server from the old server

Run dcpromo on the old server and remove its Domain Controller status.

Retire the old server.

Check the event logs on the new server for any errors.

This is somewhat of a high level plan. Other steps may apply if your old server has other roles such as DNS, DHCP, WINS, etc.
    Last edited by jasonboche; 22nd May 2006, 00:49.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Re: How to import Active Directory and Exchange 2000 on new Domain and Server

Thanks very much for your reply... I understand Win2k will be coming out of support soon, but we are going to stay with Win2k for now.

We will need to look at heading to Win2k3 eventually, but just not yet. Funding is part of the reasoning behind sticking with Win2k for the moment.

Comment

Working...
      X