Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to enable non-admin to view serverís log

Hi All,

I need to derive a solution to allow my manager to view server event logs without granting him the administratorís privileges.

The list of servers subjected for this requirement covers workgroup and domain servers.

Any suggestions to enable non-admin access and manage logs centrally?

Thank you.
    znme

Re: How to enable non-admin to view serverís log

You would need to create a custom MMC.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=230263

Comment

Once you build the custom MMC, I believe you will also need modify a few registry keys to allow non-Administrators access to the Windows Event Logs. In Windows NT, this was the default but in Windows 2003, it's locked down.

Set the RestrictGuestAccess key to 0.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\EventLog\[LogName]\RestrictGuestAccess
      Type: REG_DWORD
      Value: 0

You may also need to toggle the policy setting below in the screenshot. Don't toggle it if you don't have to. The machine will be more secure if this policy is Enabled.
      Attached Files
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I am thinking of another concept whereby I dump all servers eventlogs (both from the domain and workgroup) to a database and give my manager the read permission to the database.

I am now trying to understand how MS Log Parser works. It seems I can use this tool.

What do you think of this method? More efficient and easier to manage?

Thanks.

Comment

I like your second method better. That way you don't have to dole out more authority to the server than absolutely necessary.

MS Log Parser is good (and powerful) if you can figure out how to use it.

Another good tool I've used is called eventcomb.exe. Here's a good Mark Minasi article on eventcomb:
          http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/...132/27132.html

Download the suite of tools that contains eventcomb.exe:
          http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jasonboche; 19th May 2006, 01:58. Reason: added screenshot
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X