No announcement yet.

Windows 2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003

Hello folks,

I have installed a Microsoft Windows 2003 server on a system and this server is configured as a domain controller with Active Directory. When users logon to the domain, I want them automatically be logged on to a shared drive on the server in this case the same domain controller. Normally when people log on to the domain their path is C:\Documents and Settings\sample. I want to change this path to the network folder for data integrity for the loss and recovery of the data. I also want them to not be able to save any data on the local drive C:\. Is it doable? I appreciate your detailed response about this. Do I have to have a logon script? If yes what the logon script is and where in the server can I apply it? I also have heard that roaming profile makes the network very slow because of synchronizations every time people shutdown and restart their systems. Thank you for all your help.

Re: Windows 2003

Short answers because I have to leave for a show shortly.

1. Map users to network drives with the use of a logon script. Logon scripts are defined in the user account properties, profile tab. Logon script files stored on this property sheet should be stored in \\<domain controller\netlogon\

2. Logon scripts can also be defined by group policy. See attached screenshot

3. The "My Documents" folder can be redirected to a user's home drive. Right click on "My Documents" on the users desktop and point it to the user's network drive. This will now be the default location for my documents.

4. Connecting a user's "Home Folder" to their network drive will cause them to visit the home folder directory location when the user drops to the command prompt instead of dumping them at C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\....

5. Setting restrictive NTFS permissions on the user's workstation hard drive will prevent them from saving files to the hard drive. This may also prevent functionality of the users locally stored profile and other software mechanisms so be careful here.

6. Roaming profiles can make logon times increase. Basically, the larger the roaming profile, the longer the logon experience will be because the roaming profile has to be copied down from the network to the client PC each time a logon happens. The profile then needs to be "saved" back to the network when the user logs off, unless mandatory profiles are used at which point profile changes are not saved back to the network. Don't be discouraged with roaming profiles. Try them out for yourself. They definitley serve a useful purpose and may be right up your alley.
    Attached Files
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Thank you for your response. Let's assume my computer is server1 and my domain is star.local FQDN How do I creat the script. I have not created any before. Can I have a detail message about how to creat and apply this through group policy? I would like to stay away from Roaming profile because client computers vary from different manufacturers with different hardware. Thank you again.

Creating logon scripts
        Departed: 23rd December 2015