Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profiles

Can local XP profiles be copied to a 2003 server so that when users log in
    for the first time their existing settings from their computers (localmachine\username) - with desktop, settings ect. are copied back to the "domain\username" profile that is created? What would be the best way to do this?

Basically, I would like for when users join a domain that their current
    local profile settings are used instead of the "default user" profile.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Profiles

Hello,

What about roaming user profiles?
    See the following links:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314478

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../09w2kadb.mspx
    Regards,
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Originally posted by windows_help
      Can local XP profiles be copied to a 2003 server so that when users log in
      for the first time their existing settings from their computers (localmachine\username) - with desktop, settings ect. are copied back to the "domain\username" profile that is created? What would be the best way to do this?

Basically, I would like for when users join a domain that their current
      local profile settings are used instead of the "default user" profile.

Many thanks in advance.
      Yes, you pretty much just described roaming profiles.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the input, that's kind of what I figured. However, I really would like to keep the profile local. 99% of the computers have only 1 user and they only use one computer.

What if I were to copy the user's NTUSER.DAT to the default user profile. Would this accomplish the same thing?

I'm not concerned with temporary files or documents as they are not stored on the computer, just the custom settings and desktop. (ie. Internet explorer settings, default directories for Word, mail settings, ect.)

If this is possible can it be done via a login script? That way when the user joins the domain they will get their current settings from the default?

Many thanks again for any input.

Comment

Working...
        X