How do I fix DNS error 407 408

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I fix DNS error 407 408

I have searched and tried all the MS and other solutions but I must have missed the fix for the DNS server Client.

OS is 2k3 AD mixed mode.
    Environment is AD with (2) DNS servers with (2) WIN servers.

The first DC in the domain was installed with no problem (dc11)
    The second DC was also successfully installed (dc02)
    I had to remove dc11 for a hardware upgrade to (dc0

I had to do cleanup into the schema to finally remove dc11 from the AD. At that point the DNS servers on both dc02 and dc08 were stable and have not had any problems.

Until the DNS server on dc02 renews it's A record then the DNS client on dc02 doesn't work. RPC is ok, fixed the registery entries on the DNS listenAddresses, ran the TCP\IP fix, disabled the second NIC (not that I wanted to), plus a slew more dead ends. I know the DNS server is OK on dr02 because it passes monitoring from dc08.

The only clue left is this 407 / 408.

Please tell me it is a simply something I overlooked.

Let me know if I am being too long winded (lol)

Thanks,

Richard
    Last edited by rmulders; 17th May 2006, 14:51.

Re: How do I fix DNS error 407 408

Had a look at these??

Event ID 407

Event ID 408
    Last edited by wullieb1; 17th May 2006, 16:09.

Comment

407: Yes, I've checked out the NAT, but hadn't seen the Proxy. Although I don't have a proxy server I did search for Msplat.txt anyway with no luck.

408: did that, been there. I can still use the DNS server from other machines, it's the client on the first DNS server that is causing the issues. I think there must be some connection to how the RPC is setup because the client works until the server renews it's A record and there was mension of RPC and finding the IP address? But in compairing to the second DNS server there are no obious problems.

Thanks for the responce.

Comment

Here's the actual error:

The DNS server could not open socket for address 127.0.0.1.
        Verify that this is a valid IP address for the server computer. If it is NOT valid use the Interfaces dialog under Server Properties in the DNS Manager to remove it from the list of IP interfaces. Then stop and restart the DNS server. (If this was the only IP interface on this machine and the DNS server may not have started as a result of this error. In that case remove the DNS\Parmeters\ ListenAddress value in the services section of the registry and restart.)

If this is a valid IP address for this machine, make sure that no other application (e.g. another DNS server) is running that would attempt to use the DNS port.

Why is it looking for 127.0.0.1 (itself) when the listenaddress is 192.168.1.2?
        Could it be an issue with the second DNS server?

Comment

You don't happen to have 2 network cards do you??

Comment

Yes, it is a DELL 2650 and the first NIC is disabled in BIOS because the connector is broaken. And not teamed.

Could it still see it and give it an IP of 192.168.234.235?

Comment

It shouldn't see it of you have disabled it in the BIOS.

Are there any rogue entries in your DNS server that a related to the server with a different IP Address??

Comment

yes, I tracked it down to one of several orphine interfaces
                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{E7C06F76-60EF-43CC-B0CB-710A2F52D7C1}

Can I remove all or at least this one orphine and if so how? I already teried the Schema clean up for removing persistent DCs.

two things that I can't grasp:
                1. how does the DNS client/RDP error out when the DC updates it's A record without causing problems for the local DNS server and / or the 2nd DNS server?
                2. If DNS see's and re-adds the bad Interface why doesn't it add all the bad interfaces?

Comment

Quess it's time to call MS?

Comment

here's the fix. I did not remove the rogue entry in the registry because there were many others that did not cause a problem.

Instead I enabled then teamed the two onboard nics and then I simply unplugged the bad nic. The virtual nic runs fine, not errors in the DNS, and I can remove the rogue entry without it coming back.

No, I didn't call MS.

Comment

Originally posted by rmulders
                      here's the fix. I did not remove the rogue entry in the registry because there were many others that did not cause a problem.

Instead I enabled then teamed the two onboard nics and then I simply unplugged the bad nic. The virtual nic runs fine, not errors in the DNS, and I can remove the rogue entry without it coming back.

No, I didn't call MS.

Thanks for posting back your results

Comment

I need to add to the fix because it came back to haunt me after several days. I waited until I was sure it didn't come back before making this Last of the Last entries.

It turns out that the Dell 2650 has an issue with the RAC IP address 192.168.234.235 and the way MS handles DDNS. Way too long to discuss so I’ll give you the down and dirty fix. In the long run you need to contact Dell “Open Manage” group if you want to use the RAC on a Dell 2650.

Go to Device Manager\modems and disable the “RAC PPP Con…”.

That way it will not associate the valid but non-registered (on the server) IP address. Via La, no more problems . I did go back into DNS and removed all traces of 192.168.234.235 although I'm not sure you need to do this.

NOTE: MS is aware of this and Server 2k3 SP1 handles there side of it by allowing you to disable the IP, but not on the Dell 2650.

Comment

Working...
                        X