Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routing and Remote Access

Heyas..

I have a Network that employs the use of NAT to provide Internet conncetion sharing for my whole network. My current connection to the internet is through dial-up. Now when a user on the network requests the internet the modem dials up connects and internet is shared.

What I want to know is.. is there anyway that when the connection to the internet is made.. that the conncetion icon can be shown in the system tray? Currently it just connects to the internet and doesnt show anything in the system tray.

Hope you can help..

Thanks

Mark

On the client the connection is made via a network connection. To my knowledge there is no way to show the icon in the tray of the client computer. You can show the lan connection icon but that won't do you much good.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for ya help..

Thats what I thought.. Ive looked everywhere and I cant seem to find anything that would do what I want.

Do you know of any 3rd party programs that would show my internet connection activity in the system tray?

Thanks

Mark

Comment

No I don't. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Perhaps someone can provide assistance in that area.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

WHat about going to the modem connection, properties and then selecting the "show icon when connected" box?

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hey..

Well, because it uses the demand dial router to dial-up in the Routing and remote access it seems it doesnt use all the properties of the modem in the same way that dial-up networking does.. as I do have that option already selected in the modem's dial-up properties.

Its not really a problem.. just more a fact of wanting to know if it can be done.. I appreciate everyones help

Thanks

Mark

Comment

You can try to use Wingate software
              It have lots of services , such as DHCP , router , Firewall
              and full hystory by IP or computer name

it works thery nice on ADSL and Cable connectoins , but i dont know how
              it will react with Dial-up
              на клеточном уровне я очень занят

Comment

Originally posted by dba
                You can try to use Wingate software
                It have lots of services , such as DHCP , router , Firewall
                and full hystory by IP or computer name

it works thery nice on ADSL and Cable connectoins , but i dont know how
                it will react with Dial-up
                It won't do what he wants. He wants to see the dialup networking icon in the systray on the client for a device which resides in the server. My guess is that he wants to be able to disconnect or see how much data has been transferred over the modem. Due to the modem being foreign hardware this probably won't be possible. The only case that I'm aware of that allows this are printers, but when you use a printer you acutally need to install the driver to control the thing, that isn't the case here.
                Andrew

Comment

Actually.. I only want to see the icon on the system tray of the server.

I realise I didnt make this completely clear in my first question!

Comment

Originally posted by jmc
                    Actually.. I only want to see the icon on the system tray of the server.

I realise I didnt make this completely clear in my first question!
                    Well, that would have helped... ugh!
                    Andrew

Comment

xex
                      In that case just put 'X' in "Show icon in taskbar then connected"
                      in Properties of the Dial-Up connection you want to use

Comment

As easy as that sounds, that actually doesnt work. The routing and remote access doesnt use the dial-up conncetions. It makes a connection of its own, but it doesnt have the option to "Show icon in taskbar then connected"

Comment

strange , it should work
                          what kind of modem you have? (internal/external)

Comment

Just an internal 56k modem.

Comment

Working...
                            X